USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
What amazes me is the sheer waste of money involved. The 2020 Presidential Campaigns spend 14.4 billion dollars. $14.4bn on advertising two people. It's just insane. All you need is a national framework that governs all candidates and a modest budget for say 3 adverts. Cut out all the crap - just 3 adverts to put your campaign across and one poster. Maybe one television debate screened nationally.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
What amazes me is the sheer waste of money involved. The 2020 Presidential Campaigns spend 14.4 billion dollars. $14.4bn on advertising two people. It's just insane. All you need is a national framework that governs all candidates and a modest budget for say 3 adverts. Cut out all the crap - just 3 adverts to put your campaign across and one poster. Maybe one television debate screened nationally.

Is it "wasted" or, does it count as "economic activity"?

albion

Guru
Trump certainly needs to advertise so that those receiving the payments do not call out his 1000s of lies.

His new lie is to make out that Roe V Wade ruled on abortions after 9 months,. It was 3 months.

ebikeerwidnes

That beacon of Honour, morals and common sense - Marjorie whatsit has been talking

She has noticed that there was an earthquake in New York, there is a solar eclipse coming today

so - clearly - God is saying something as we should listen!!

To be fair - I checked and there is a High Tide today and a flood warning just up the road in Warrington
so clearly the End Times are upon us!!!

although "some people" might agree that God is talking and we should listen
but not quite agree with MTG about what he is saying!!

on another point - I was wondering if anyone has checked those bibles that trump is selling
it would be wonderful if there was an embarrassing typo!
I mean - it has happened before

Now if that happened they I might start believing God was talking to us!!!!

icowden

Legendary Member
Parallels to Trumps coup attempt.
https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2024/apr/08/elon-musk-brazil-x-jair-bolsonaro
Free speech or just far right baloney?

Personally I'll go with free speech. Why should the Government of Brazil have any say how a US software company runs an app. If its citizens decide to use an American app, that's up to them.

“We cannot live in a society in which billionaires domiciled abroad have control of social networks and put themselves in a position to violate the rule of law, failing to comply with court orders and threatening our authorities,” said the federal solicitor general, Jorge Messias. “Social peace is non-negotiable.”
Why not? Social networks are not free and open. They are software owned by companies, pretty much all of which are American, whether it's Musk or Zuckerberg.

Bazzer

For someone who claims to have done nothing wrong, Trump is certainly doing whatever he can, not to stand trial in any of the indictments.
Jury selection in his New York hush money trial is due to start on the 15th and Trump is appealing pretty much everything. Trump has apparently now tried more than 10 times to get the trial delayed.
Among other matters -
The judge requiring notice of motions, because Trump's lawyers were filing so many, so late in the proceedings.
The judge should recuse himself because his daughter works for a company who does work for, among other clients, the Democrats. (Something settled by an ethics committee last August, but Trump only now decides to appeal).
He can't get a fair trial in Manhattan. - Yet Trump boasted back in 2016, he was so confident in his supporters could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any voters.
https://www.business-standard.com/w...to-delay-hush-money-trial-124041100044_1.html
Not reported in the article, but apparently during the hearing concerning Judge Mershon's daughter, when questioned about the conflict of interest, Trump's lawyer said they were under an evidence deficit and it unfair for them not be told what the the conflict was!

Top Bottom