Martin Luther King and soup protests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
1666265817399.png

J.S. Sargent RA,
Detail of the portrait of Henry James O.M. after being damaged by a suffragette, May 1914, ca. May 1914.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I don't condone damaging that painting either. But, once again, I would point out that women did not have the vote and were unable to effect change by political means.
What is the wage above which tabards become legit funny fodder? Mrs Overall asks.

Not sure but it probably correlates with the point at which punching down is no longer taking place.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
I've worked as a cleaner, and may do again. If I pour poo on a statue would that be crafty, like a mole catcher releasing a mole on the Laird's estate, or an act of self harm?

mudsticks

Squire
Hadn't realised the poo/soup/paint throwers would be cleaning their own mess up, like the gamekeeper.
I'm sure if allowed they would have quite happily cleaned up afterwards - the point of their protests isn't that they
'want to make the world a dirtier place' is it.??

Quite the reverse in fact.

They'll be aware they're likely to get some kind of sentence for their attention seeking efforts.
Maybe even one of those community service orders - which often do involve quite a lot of scrubbing things clean.

Reactions: C R

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I did. My belated kudos to the milk chuckers who stayed on at Waitrose to mop up afterwards. I missed the coverage of that, but truly these are the unseen heroes we all need to remember.

mudsticks

Squire
I did. My belated kudos to the milk chuckers who stayed on at Waitrose to mop up afterwards. I missed the coverage of that, but truly these are the unseen heroes we all need to remember.

Hey @AuroraSaab
One of your repeated complaints about this place is the allegedly unbearable levels of snark..

Have to say, and of course I may be reading it wrong ... But this comes across just a tad snarky..
I've never met a genuine CC activist, who considers themselves 'heroic'

I mean the snark, it's fine, it's no worse in fact than anyone elses, but it certainly looks a bit like snark.

Fwiw, as a (manually labouring all my life) regularly sh1t.shovelling food producer, I'm not a fan of wasting good food myself.

But the multiples such as Waitrose do, cause a lot of (unseen) food waste through their practices, and market control.

In addition to treating primary producers, and others working in the food system very unfairly.
They encourage the over use of fossil fuels and FF derived products, and ramp up emissions via their long supply chain model.

So personal I'd say supermarkets are definitely a legitimate target for demonstration for many reasons.

Although Waitrose aren't quite as awful on many of these fronts, as others 🤔

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru

Yup, credit to them. [EDIT: when I saw "unseen heroes", I thought you meant the cleaners! But anyway: credit to the chuckers that cleaned. AND the professional cleaners! ]

But: the soup chuckers probably didn't enjoy being arrested much. (have they been tried yet? Dunno, but even if they dodge community service, this will cost them a heck of a lot of hassle, minimum). Fair enough, it's not very nice to dump on the cleaners in these situations, but this is the future of humanity and the planet we're talking about. They're not protesting how long the queue for the gallery is; or the quality of their school lunches.

If you're just going to ban any protest because someone on minimum wage will get slightly dumped on ... well, how about an approval committee for protests?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Fair enough, it's not very nice to dump on the cleaners in these situations, but this is the future of humanity and the planet we're talking about. They're not protesting how long the queue for the gallery is; or the quality of their school lunches.

If you're just going to ban any protest because someone on minimum wage will get slightly dumped on ... well, how about an approval committee for protests?

The chuckers didn't clean, Mats.

This whole discussion is really about 2 things. First, whether you think the end justifies the means. Secondly, whether the same criteria applies to all issues.

You say this is about the future of humanity. What about those who are anti-abortion? Do they have the right to vandalise medical centres? Abortion is as important an issue to them as climate change is to you. In a democracy where people can change things through the ballot box, if you are going to cheer on those who choose to break the law for their cause then doesn't everybody have the right to break the law for their cause?

And it's not a comparable situation to the US civil rights movement, nor to the suffragette movement, because we can effect change through democratic means, albeit a lot more slowly than you would obviously like.

(Edited for spelling)

Rusty Nails

Country Member
'Stunts' such as soup throwing, and people gluing themselves to things, do get in the papers though.

It raises awareness, starts conversations.

What sort of conversations?

I believe there is a phrase "there is no such thing as bad publicity", but I have never been convinced of this since Gerald Ratner many years ago.

The MSM show the protests a lot but often in a negative light, and devote a lot of time to the disruption caused to "the innocent public" or the "hardworking public" or the emergency services by a relatively small number of protesters.

I am not normally concerned about such publicity seeking protests, admire the tenacity and sticking to their principles of those involved, but still have my doubts about their effectiveness.

mudsticks

Squire
Yup, credit to them. [EDIT: when I saw "unseen heroes", I thought you meant the cleaners! But anyway: credit to the chuckers that cleaned. AND the professional cleaners! ]

But: the soup chuckers probably didn't enjoy being arrested much. (have they been tried yet? Dunno, but even if they dodge community service, this will cost them a heck of a lot of hassle, minimum). Fair enough, it's not very nice to dump on the cleaners in these situations, but this is the future of humanity and the planet we're talking about. They're not protesting how long the queue for the gallery is; or the quality of their school lunches.

More than happy to protest against poverty wages, zero hours contracts.
And unlivable levels of austerity benefit payments.

Many people using foodbanks are also working in the underpaid food system.
The 'cost of living' crisis is as a result of government action..
And inaction, on many fronts.

As much discussed elsewhere.

What sort of conversations?

I believe there is a phrase "there is no such thing as bad publicity", but I have never been convinced of this since Gerald Ratner many years ago.

The MSM show the protests a lot but often in a negative light, and devote a lot of time to the disruption caused to "the innocent public" or the "hardworking public" or the emergency services by a relatively small number of protesters.

I am not normally concerned about such publicity seeking protests, admire the tenacity and sticking to their principles of those involved, but still have my doubts about their effectiveness.

See young woman above 👍🏼
Who doesn't get paid for what she does, is unlikely to be a high wage earner either.

But is giving up her time to draw attention to a very important cause, she's on the same side as the 'hardworking public'

its the populist press, owned and controlled by those who profit the most from the status quo being maintained, that's trying to make out that climate change protestors are 'enemies of the common people'..

Now why on earth would they be trying to do that I wonder ?? 🤔

Top Bottom