Judge throws out contempt case

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
"Judge throws out case against UK climate activist who held sign on jurors’ rights".

The solicitor general had argued that Warner, a retired social worker, had committed contempt by holding the sign that was read by potential jurors at the opening of the trial last April.
The judge said Warner had not harassed, impeded or even spoken to any of those entering inner London crown court last year. The sign referred to a 1670 case known as “Bushel’s case”, in which a jury refused to find defendants guilty despite a judge having instructed them to do so.
He said: “The solicitor general’s case does not disclose a reasonable basis for committal … the conduct did not amount to an act of contempt.”
The judge said: “I refuse the solicitor general permission to proceed and I dismiss the claim.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...mate-activist-trudi-warner-sign-jurors-rights

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
This was absolutely the correct outcome and I’m amazed, but then again not, that it was taken this far.

The judge is pretty scathing in his rejection of the submission, describing the suggestion of contempt as “fanciful”. He goes on to say that the claims that the defendant followed and confronted jurors “significantly mischaracterise the evidence”.

That’s as close as you’ll get to a judge telling you your claims are bullshit.

In my judgment, it is fanciful to suggest that Ms Warner’s behaviour falls into this
category of contempt. The category is limited to threatening, intimidatory, abusive
conduct or other forms of harassment (whether physical or verbal). I reject the
arguments made in the Claimant’s skeleton argument that Ms Warner “confronted” jurors
and that she “followed two (suspected) jurors to intercept them”. These submissions
significantly mischaracterise the evidence. Put another way, the CCTV does not disclose
a reasonable basis on which a court could be sure of those matters. To the contrary, the
CCTV shows Ms Warner: (a) holding the Placard in a strikingly unobtrusive manner,
and (b) only hurrying alongside two individuals around 09:00, so that she could get
back into her previous position along the perimeter of the Court. At no point does Mr
Warner “follow” or “intercept” either woman, nor wave the Placard at them or
otherwise try to grab their attention.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
What is concerning is that the government (I do mean The Government) decided to bring the prosecution for the flimsiest of reasons. Yes, it's been thrown out, but it has cost Warner time, energy, money and anxiety. That's an effective deterrent to other activists who want to protect our liberties.

C R

Über Member
What is concerning is that the government (I do mean The Government) decided to bring the prosecution for the flimsiest of reasons. Yes, it's been thrown out, but it has cost Warner time, energy, money and anxiety. That's an effective deterrent to other activists who want to protect our liberties.

In the same repressive vein, the GMC targets a GP who participated in Just Stop Oil protests.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1vw4k9qn29o

matticus

Guru

Yes.
This is exactly the concern that I was attempting to express in my own topic https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/free-speech-democracy-and-all-that-jazz.600/ !

It really feels like quite a slippery slope - once THE ACTUAL GOVERNMENT starts to shut you down, how can you fight them? It seems like it's only a few steps to the only option being armed, violent resistance, with balaclavas, and no traceable ID on you.
Or putting bombs under cars :-(

Yes.
This is exactly the concern that I was attempting to express in my own topic https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/free-speech-democracy-and-all-that-jazz.600/ !

It really feels like quite a slippery slope - once THE ACTUAL GOVERNMENT starts to shut you down, how can you fight them? It seems like it's only a few steps to the only option being armed, violent resistance, with balaclavas, and no traceable ID on you.
Or putting bombs under cars :-(

Maybe start with pitchforks and staves and escalate from there?

albion

Guru
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/apr/27/jeremy-clarkson-interview-global-warming-fury-farming

A caricature just making money . The Express, GBNews, Farage and Telegraph are much in the business of money too.

Reactions: C R

albion

Guru
Want to suggest better? Or did you just throw it out for me thinking he is more contemptuous of global warming?

I suppose I should get used to right wing 'humour' being very destructive when it is not puerile

Last edited:
Would you have said the same if it is an activist campaigning for something you don't approve off?

Top Bottom