Good to be Welsh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
We have had 20mph speed limits round most of Cardiff, excluding some of the main thoroughfare/commuting roads for some time and despite the cries of doom, despair and outrage from some of my friends (who all bring up "the war on the motorist") I have not noticed any of my local journeys taking a noticeable difference to the good old freedom-loving days of 30mph.

Obviously, where there are known speed cameras, people stick to 20mph, while some self-entitled clowns still drive at 30+mph where there are not, and most drivers seem to stick to less than 25mph so things are going OK.

Life as we know it has not come to an end, and people still get to school, work, medical appointments etc. on time, and I suspect those few who do not had the same trouble previously.

Chill.

p.s. It is!

Beebo

Veteran
London has loads of 20mph roads.
My only gripe is the signage is poor and you never really know if you are in a 20 zone.
I would prefer it to be 20mph unless told otherwise.
It just seems very slow when you have an open road ahead.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It just seems very slow when you have an open road ahead.

The same could be said about 30 mph or even 40 mph, and there are probably some who would say it for even higher speeds.

On the mothership some have said it about cycling and 20 mph limits. (Yes, I know the limits do not apply).

Reactions: C R

ebikeerwidnes

The BIG BIG problem with 20 mph zones if that there is the terrible possibility that a cyclist could possibly go faster than a car driver

and, especially if the car is a proper make (e.g. Audi, BMW) is far more expensive and so has a RIGHT to go faster

I know this because I read it in the Daily Mail letters page!!!!
(OK - I expanded it a bit for effect - but only a bit!)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The BIG BIG problem with 20 mph zones if that there is the terrible possibility that a cyclist could possibly go faster than a car driver

and, especially if the car is a proper make (e.g. Audi, BMW) is far more expensive and so has a RIGHT to go faster

I know this because I read it in the Daily Mail letters page!!!!
(OK - I expanded it a bit for effect - but only a bit!)

Personally, I think the problem is that some people (including some cyclists) feel they have the right to endanger other people's safety, very often because they feel they are superior in knowledge, ability, status and/or wealth.

I do recognise that a cyclist travelling at 30mph does not have the kinetic energy of a car travelling at 30mph, but, I also recognise that said cyclist could cause significant injury to a person they collided with, at that speed.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Back then it was the 'entitled few' who marched. Not that many homes could actually afford a car. The problem now is that we have far too many cars.

The Tory party are obviously embracing this protest, seeing it as a vote winner. You get stuff like 'I have never seen a car hit a pedestrian' coming from the usual tabloid journalists.
In some ways it could be referred to as Brexit 2.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Back then it was the 'entitled few' who marched. Not that many homes could actually afford a car. The problem now is that we have far too many cars.

The Tory party are obviously embracing this protest, seeing it as a vote winner. You get stuff like 'I have never seen a car hit a pedestrian' coming from the usual tabloid journalists.
In some ways it could be referred to as Brexit 2.

OMG in 1967 my late father was one of the "entitled few"!, as was I !

Last edited:
Top Bottom