1976 and all that...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

The problem with people's memory of the past is that it can be more subjective than objective. I have great memories of growing up in the 50s and the 60s because of the people I grew up with, family and friends. I have probably forgotten the bad things and remember mostly the good. YMMV.
Objectively speaking there is very little about the way we live now that is not an improvement on the way things were not that very long ago, but while living standards have improved there are just as many hardships and things to be dissatisfied with, just different ones to the past.
We judge things by the norms of the time and the baseline standard is always rising.
A lot of us have fond memories of growing up....I grew up in Blackpool,arcades,funfair etc.It was a easy place to make money and have fun.School wasn't ! Hence a mispent youth...there's far more deprivation here now than there was in the 70s here that's for sure.Your chances of getting on the so called property ladder on a min wage job are pretty much gone.I think it's tougher now growing up than it was back then.Theres a bigger divide than ever.

matticus

Guru
I saved the seeds from a tomato, given to me by a fellow Southern Spanish grower at The COP last November.

I never knew you were Spanish!

matticus

Guru
For reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave
Peak temperature 35.9 °C (96.6 °F), recorded at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire on 3 July 1976

That's 5'c colder than today's forecast high.

More Fun Facts from '76:
The 1976 heatwave is understood to have been the cause of 20% 'excess deaths' and there were significantly more hospital emergency admissions from 24 June to 8 July 1976 than for the same period in 1975 or 1974. This compares to 59% excess deaths for the 2003 heatwave.

D

Deleted member 49

More Fun Facts from '76:
The 1976 heatwave is understood to have been the cause of 20% 'excess deaths' and there were significantly more hospital emergency admissions from 24 June to 8 July 1976 than for the same period in 1975 or 1974. This compares to 59% excess deaths for the 2003 heatwave.
Everyone died in the 1976 heatwave...they just got on with it.

Croydon.

0B6ED52A-6ED3-4BF2-9B23-6F4171A421FC.jpeg

Top Bottom