Climate change solutions.

Yes or No

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
No such thing, as can be read near all of the replies.
The Brexit referendum was 'intelligible' enough to get the outcome intended.
Suckers love superfluous baggage. The word 'remain' was the sucker bit, it carrying a whiff of decadence.

And here, we simply have 'base politics'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Certainly irreverence.

Could be worse I guess. On a tiny positive, it is a very telling thread.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
A lot of ass-holes about?
No one gives a f-uck?
F-uck You?
I'm a tw(a)(i)t?
Lots of people give a feck.
If you're talking about climate change.
The vast majority on this site do.

But most people are not very able as individuals to do anything about it.

They're stuck in systems that were designed by others who give far more of a feck about money, power, ego, capitalism.

I give talks and go to conferences, events, have meetings with politicians and so on about sustainable and socially just agriculture, and food production.
(And am practitioner of same)
There's far more traction and understanding in all that now, than there was say twenty years ago.
I don't have to explain very hard to an averagely intelligent human what the problems are, and even what many of the solutions are.

The main points of resistance are politically and vested interest financially.
Not people 'not caring'.

Same with relocalising services within reach of populations, and encouraging active travel, and public transport

If you make it easier , no more expensive or cheaper, and pleasanter to 'do the right thing' then this change comes naturally.

But again political vested interest is the barrier.

A lot of ass-holes about?
No one gives a f-uck?
F-uck You?
I'm a tw(a)(i)t?

IMG_4101.jpeg

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
https://amp.theguardian.com/cities/...cks-how-europes-cities-are-turning-on-the-car

In Paris car use has halved.
'A startling statistic emerged in Paris last month: during the morning and evening rush hours, on representative main thoroughfares crisscrossing the French capital, there are now more bicycles than cars – almost half as many again, in fact.'
Whilst public transport use there has increased a little, cycle use has increased 10 fold.

The only reason it was possible was that car ownership in Paris is a minority so it gets support. Elsewhere,extinction is certainly preferred to a car loss.

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
The only reason it was possible was that car ownership in Paris is a minority so it gets support. Elsewhere,extinction is certainly preferred to a car loss.

Exactly (although large parts of London have quite low car ownership ... but motorists tend to be wealthier, with the louder voices ... )

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
https://amp.theguardian.com/cities/...cks-how-europes-cities-are-turning-on-the-car

In Paris car use has halved.
'A startling statistic emerged in Paris last month: during the morning and evening rush hours, on representative main thoroughfares crisscrossing the French capital, there are now more bicycles than cars – almost half as many again, in fact.'
Whilst public transport use there has increased a little, cycle use has increased 10 fold.

The last time I was in central Paris (about three years ago) there were more motor scooters (particularly the three wheel MP3 type) than bicycles whizzing about.

Top Bottom