American bombshell? Roe vs. Wade....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Not strictly true. No one has ever been prosecuted for taking drugs. Possession yes, definitely with intent to supply.

But there is no law against putting class A drugs in your own body, unless you're using your rectal cavity to smuggle drugs into the country.

In which case make sure the wrapping is robust otherwise the law is the least of your worries.

If you want to be pedantic. Having class A drugs in your body is still the offence of possession of that drug.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
If you want to be pedantic. Having class A drugs in your body is still the offence of possession of that drug.

Is that true? Because I thought I remembered that they changed the law to make it so, but then I mentioned it to a toxicologist colleague of mine and she sort of laughed.

No one has been prosecuted for taking drugs. Once you've taken them and your body stats metabolising them then it's difficult to present them as evidence in a court case. So I can't see there is any law which states what you can and can't do to your own body, apart from aborting a fetus beyond 24weeks (unless it's exceptional circumstances).

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
As a society we routinely limit what people are allowed to do with their own bodies. We do this for perfectly good reasons, often to do with safeguarding and protection, especially of younger people. We do it by balancing an individual's rights with the rights of others and with the wider good of society. We nearly always do this by coming to a consensus.

This is hugely different to the banning of abortion from conception. Here the woman's rights are given no weight whatsoever and the law is being imposed by a minority, not agreed by consensus. It really is draconian to remove all bodily autonomy from a woman, and to give no weight whatsoever to her own rights, when the cost of that could be so physically and emotionally damaging.

D

Deleted member 28

No one has been prosecuted for taking drugs. Once you've taken them and your body stats metabolising them then it's difficult to present them as evidence in a court case. So I can't see there is any law which states what you can and can't do to your own body, apart from aborting a fetus beyond 24weeks (unless it's exceptional circumstances).

Is there not an offence called 'under the influence ' where you can be prosecuted for the effects on you having taken said class A drug?
This has nothing to do with the abortion debate which clearly is a nonsense and in my opinion anyone who thinks Women should be forced to have a child when they don't want it is deluded.

spen666

S5 Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 makes it an offence.
The fact no one has been prosecuted does not mean it is not an offence. Driving at 31mph in a 30 zone is an offence, but no one has been prosecuted for that either

The fact no one has been prosecuted does not mean it is not an offence. Driving at 31mph in a 30 zone is an offence, but no one has been prosecuted for that either

That particular section of the law is about possession. You said earlier that there are laws to "stop you putting drugs into your body" and I challenge your interpretation of the law. Whether you swallow, snort, smoke, inject drugs or pop a pill up your bottom, there is no law to stop you doing that act. Therefore there are currently no laws in our liberal society to "control what we do with our own bodies" which you claimed otherwise. It's important to point this out.

D

Deleted member 28

That particular section of the law is about possession. You said earlier that there are laws to "stop you putting drugs into your body" and I challenge your interpretation of the law. Whether you swallow, snort, smoke, inject drugs or pop a pill up your bottom, there is no law to stop you doing that act. Therefore there are currently no laws in our liberal society to "control what we do with our own bodies" which you claimed otherwise. It's important to point this out.

How about if I wanted to assault someone with part of my body, would that not count as 'controlling' what I did with it?

May as well talk complete b0ollox while we're at it.

D

Deleted member 28

That's about driving a car while "under the influence". It's not illegal to be high. It is illegal to be high while driving 2 tonnes of metal.

How about just walking down the street, I'm sure there used to be a D&D charge going about for people pissed up on foot.

How do you know?

Because while it is an offence to possess certain drugs, once the drugs leave your possession i.e. when you consume them, you are no longer committing the offence of possession.

If the drugs cause you to act in an illegal way, such as driving under the influence or eating a tramps face, then it is the action ( driving, face eating) that is illegal, not the consumption of the drugs.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Wow , you really think we can't have a sense of right or wrong without a 'God' figure in our lives??
Interesting, as we can never know. Unless there is an unknown tribe somewhere, all societies have evolved worshipping some deity or another, be it God, Allah, the Sun, Prince Phillip or a goat headed beaver.

So therefore all our sense of right and wrong has been at some point influenced by the fact that a society has worshipped a 'higher power'. You are not born with an innate sense of right and wrong, with no instruction by someone or other you would have no concept of it.

icowden

Legendary Member

I'm not sure it does actually. It specifically states:

Subject to any regulations under section 7 of this Act for the time being in force, it shall not be lawful for a person to have a controlled drug in his possession.
I'm sure a good lawyer would look at the definition of "possession"
the state of having, owning, or controlling something.
and argue that having consumed the controlled drug, the person no longer has it, owns it or controls it. The person can no longer give it to another person, nor can it be extracted from them. Thus they do not possess it.

Which is besides the point that there is no interest in prosecuting people who have taken drugs. The interest is in prosecuting the dealers and terminating the supply chain.

Top Bottom