Yet more Tory sleaze….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

In May, Johnson was talking about the rules being really clear and being able to rely on common sense.

4 Days before the "cheese and wine" Downing street party
9 Days before another Downing Street party with 100 people invited.

Now, of course, it appears that Johnson needs the results of an inquiry to understand if he broke those really clear rules. Sounds like reliance on common sense might not be all its cracked up to be, eh?

Of course, the truth is that Johnson knew the rules full well but doesn't care because the rules are for the little people. Johnson has been laughing at us all, has been laughing harder at those that voted from him in 2019 and is positively pissing himself with mirth at those still supporting him.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I have worked in offices most of my career, although over the years with increasing levels of home working even pre-pandemic.

In all those years, even in the rather decadent 90s, I never attended a business meeting where the meeting invite asked me to bring along booze, pandemic or no. If we take Johnson at face-value it does make me wonder what happens at his business meetings.

In 1960s through to 1990s, I did sometimes attended "business meetings" where the booze flowed, I was fortunate enough to have Employers who provided it however, no cheapskate BYOB.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
In 1960s through to 1990s, I did sometimes attended "business meetings" where the booze flowed, I was fortunate enough to have Employers who provided it however, no cheapskate BYOB.
We used to have our own bar in the canteen at the labs where I first worked. A lunchtime pint or two was a regular thing. Mid 80's.
Then all of a sudden even liquid lunches with customers dried-up.
Thank god for airport lounges and hotel expenses....I nearly had to sober-up....

Beebo

Veteran
Even into the mid noughties we would have people so drunk after lunch that the management would have to unplug their telephones so they couldn’t speak to clients.
I’m glad it’s not like that anymore.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It was pretty common for big employers to have an on site social club that was also open at lunchtimes. I've been to lots of quiz nights, bbqs, Halloween parties etc in various ones over the years. Some folk would be in there from 5pm to closing most week nights. Seems to have entirely bit the dust now. Quite rightly the whole lunchtime drinking culture has gradually disappeared too.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

In May, Johnson was talking about the rules being really clear and being able to rely on common sense.

4 Days before the "cheese and wine" Downing street party
9 Days before another Downing Street party with 100 people invited.

Now, of course, it appears that Johnson needs the results of an inquiry to understand if he broke those really clear rules. Sounds like reliance on common sense might not be all its cracked up to be, eh?

Of course, the truth is that Johnson knew the rules full well but doesn't care because the rules are for the little people. Johnson has been laughing at us all, has been laughing harder at those that voted from him in 2019 and is positively pissing himself with mirth at those still supporting him.

Of all the vox pops I saw on the news yesterday the most depressing was by a Tory supporter, a shopkeeper I believe, who said he was OK with things because Johnson was only doing what most of us would have done if we could have got away with it, and it hasn't changed his support for Johnson. :angry:

He is undoubtedly right about some people, but most ? The reality of the time says no.

D

Deleted member 28

This is an opinion I can respect. I'd really like to hear what you want in politics? What the left hears about Tory voters is usually presented by the press, as is the Tory view of the left. We should be talking to each other.
More money for the NHS.

Keep immigration under control and stricter rules for getting in the country.

Don't mind paying a bit more tax to help fund it.

Sort trade deals out.

Up the minimum wage a bit.

That'll do for starters, incidentally I think they're all lying bastards whichever party they represent.

Milkfloat

I am not so sure Johnson will go yet. He is a useful stooge to take the heat on the energy price rises, inflation, massive debt and the impact of the latest Brexit red tape. Whomever takes over will be inheriting a steaming turd, they may all be waiting in the wings until everything can be pinned on Boris

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I think it will prove to be the final nail in his coffin. People will tolerate quite a lot from politicians, in terms of both policies and personal failings, but there is something almost personally insulting about this particular incident. I will be surprised if he hasn't decided to 'spend more time with his family' by the summer.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I think it will prove to be the final nail in his coffin. People will tolerate quite a lot from politicians, in terms of both policies and personal failings, but there is something almost personally insulting about this particular incident. I will be surprised if he hasn't decided to 'spend more time with his family' by the summer.
Unless pushed he will go when he decides it is the best time to make a lot of money outside politics.

mjr

I will be surprised if he hasn't decided to 'spend more time with his family' by the summer.
He's not waiting until the summer. He's spending more time in his fridge with his family for the next week after one of them contracted covid and for some reason the guidance telling us we can go to work as long as we test negative daily doesn't apply to Boris. (It says "work from home if you are able to" but Parliament no longer allows participation by video-call, so he's not able to.)

D

Deleted member 28

....but people who voted for him on the one policy of 'getting Brexit done" now feel cheated :laugh: Excuse me whilst I try and find some sympathy.
No they don't, they probably think he's a dickhead for not taking his position seriously and many will be pissed off because they followed the rules and he didn't.

The rest probably did the same but because most people are nobody's (including myself) then it didn't matter.

He needs to go because lot's won't want to vote for him again.

It's people like you who need sympathy waiting for a Liberal Government to gain power.

D

Deleted member 49

No they don't, they probably think he's a dickhead for not taking his position seriously and many will be pissed off because they followed the rules and he didn't.

The rest probably did the same but because most people are nobody's (including myself) then it didn't matter.

He needs to go because lot's won't want to vote for him again.
So what your saying is it was all worth it because he "got Brexit done" ?
Shame he went to a party ?

D

Deleted member 28

So what your saying is it was all worth it because he "got Brexit done" ?
Shame he went to a party ?
I've told you above what I think, who was to know a pandemic was about to break and Boris would do what he did?

It's like saying Blair was worth it but he went to War!

Top Bottom