Yet more Tory sleaze….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Where is sleaze in HMRC renting office space for their staff to work in.

Property Owners have seemingly acted lawfully and sensibly to legally minimise their tax liabilities.

FishFright

Property Owners have seemingly acted lawfully and sensibly to legally minimise their tax liabilities.

.. and coincidently sizable donators to the to the Tories

icowden

Legendary Member

If there was a proper open procurement process with competition directly assessed then none. But it does seem more than coincidental that they went with the guys who had donated a *lot* of money to the Government.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Suppliers shouldn’t be allowed to tender if they have arrangements designed to put profits out of the reach of the tax system. Wasn’t one of the promised Brexit benefits the ability to write our own rules about such matters?

Even if the arrangements are perfectly legal?

Does this mean anyone with an ISA is a tax dodger?

Legal means whatever the rule makers decide. I’m suggesting those rules could and should be set for the benefit of the country. One of the previously quoted impediments to this was European public procurement regulations.

ISAs were designed as a way of encouraging saving, arguably a benefit to the country (even if the greatest benefit is to a mostly middle class section). What are the arguments in favour of HMRC - HMRC! - shovelling our national wealth into tax havens?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Legal means whatever the rule makers decide. I’m suggesting those rules could and should be set for the benefit of the country. One of the previously quoted impediments to this was European public procurement regulations.

ISAs were designed as a way of encouraging saving, arguably a benefit to the country (even if the greatest benefit is to a mostly middle class section). What are the arguments in favour of HMRC - HMRC! - shovelling our national wealth into tax havens?

No problem agreeing with that, but, in my lifetime (some of which was before EU membership) no Government (regardless of party) has framed Company Tax Laws to prevent wriggling out of paying tax.

Rather than griping about individuals and/or Companies using legal methods to minimise their tax bill, we should be griping about the incompetence (and/or dishonesty) which allows it. IMHO, of course.

My pals at the pub are going to be VERY surprised to learn they are "middle class".

mudsticks

Squire

Anyone with an ISA is a tax avoider, but there are limits placed on the amount you can invest tax free, year on year, aren't there.

The arrangement in the OP is direct bought and paid for influence , or did these guys just happen to think the Tory party was one of those obscure but worthy causes that could do with a fiscal boost..

And there's no limit on the amount of taxpayers money that can be squirreled offshore.

That doesn't seem to bother some people, they even appear to admire people who deliberately work the system to benefit themselves, and leave others lacking.

Mr Bezos being one of the most extreme examples.

but many others feel the social contract is being repeatedly broken by cases like this.

Im sure it makes many people to feel conned when they have to pay their routine onshore taxes on from their relatively modest employment, or business income.

But that does seem to be the kind of 'society' that some people are accepting of.

Where bought influence is routine, the rich get increasingly richer, at the taxpayers expense, public services are run on a shoestring, and the very poorest can be thankful for scraps, if any scraps at all.

Thoroughly Corrupt Brittania, is what we have now.

Yet people get all in a lather over a tiny baby coming peacefully into parliament in the arms of its elected mother.

As I said in that thread , I wonder if part of the problem for some people is in seeing that tiny scrap of innocent humanity, and having their consciences pricked over what they are allowing to happen in this country..

no Government (regardless of party) has framed Company Tax Laws to prevent wriggling out of paying tax.
I think they should. Setting tender conditions seems an easy win that may not need legislation changes.

Rather than griping about individuals and/or Companies using legal methods to minimise their tax bill, we should be griping about the incompetence (and/or dishonesty) which allows it.
I will continue doing both.

My pals at the pub are going to be VERY surprised to learn they are "middle class".
“Mostly.” It’s also the case that if you have savings at all you’re doing better than many, even if it doesn’t feel like it.

Edit: changed ‘probably wouldn’t’ to ‘may not’. IANAL.

Last edited:
Top Bottom