Why are there so few right wing comedians?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
He hasn't. Opera North, and others, regularly play his stuff.
Although Wagner programmes were reportedly cancelled as a result of the Ukraine invasion.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Forgive my ignorance, but was Wagner (the composer, not the X Factor dude) actually particularly right wing compared to the standards of the time? Or do we only think that because of the Nazi association with his music? And are we in danger of equating nationalism and/or racism with right wing politics?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Forgive my ignorance, but was Wagner (the composer, not the X Factor dude) actually particularly right wing compared to the standards of the time? Or do we only think that because of the Nazi association with his music? And are we in danger of equating nationalism and/or racism with right wing politics?

It's a tough one to call. He certainly had controversial opinions which weren't massively out of place given the time and circumstances, but he also had Jewish friends. The appropriation of his music by Hitler makes things tricky to interpret.

winjim

woah there. Instant red flag.

That's left wing.

D

Deleted member 28

So there don't exist any 'right wing' jokes which aren't so offensive that you daren't tell them in full? And right wing is synonymous with racist?

Only people like you would be offended though, the signallers, taking the p*ss out of people is always funny (and always will be) it's just that the world is so afraid of upsetting someone it's not in the mainstream.

winjim

Only people like you would be offended though, the signallers, taking the p*ss out of people is always funny (and always will be) it's just that the world is so afraid of upsetting someone it's not in the mainstream.

Why not actually tell the joke then, and maybe explain what makes it right wing?

Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman jokes were the sort of thing I was telling in junior school so I doubt it's anything I haven't heard the likes of before. Are you sure it's right wing and not just casually racist? Or is that the same thing in your mind?

D

Deleted member 28

Why not actually tell the joke then, and maybe explain what makes it right wing?

Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman jokes were the sort of thing I was telling in junior school so I doubt it's anything I haven't heard the likes of before. Are you sure it's right wing and not just casually racist? Or is that the same thing in your mind?

I know you have some kind of autistic sh*t going on but surely you must realise I was taking the p*ss?

As for 'right wing ' I'm assuming in this instance we ARE talking about sexist, racist, 'punching down ' comedy rather than some in depth political humour which frankly bores me to tears.

icowden

Legendary Member
As for 'right wing ' I'm assuming in this instance we ARE talking about sexist, racist, 'punching down ' comedy rather than some in depth political humour which frankly bores me to tears.
I think that's part of the problem. The press and Conservative politicians have invented left wing comedy. Comedians satirise and mock Conservative Politicians. Thus Hislop and Merton are "typical left wing biased comedians".

What tends to be forgotten is:-

3597D36B00000578-0-image-a-30_1466697894738.jpg

984_big.jpg
1147_big.jpg
986_big.jpg
1042_big.jpg
1085_big.jpg

Top Bottom