Why are there so few right wing comedians?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
We have had Conservative government for the majority of our lifetimes - younger comedians may have had no experience of Labour government in their adult life at this point.
This is a good point. Private Eye is often accused of being "lefty". However when Blair / Brown were in charge they were just as acerbic toward those leaders as they are toward the Tories. The difference tends to be that Conservative Politicians have their noses in much bigger troughs.

matticus

Guru
Geoff Norcott is in the same vein as Al Murray - they're playing fairly unsubtle parodies of right-wing characters. Both brilliant in their own ways!

( If only Clarkson had gone down the same route ... )

icowden

Legendary Member
I think his fan-base is more lefty than righty.
He portrays himself as right wing, but he's quite a clever comedian. I think his comedy is much more middle of the road than right wing however. Similarly Simon Evans is often referred to as a right wing comedian but is probably more middle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008hkz

I think audiences tend to be mixed. I wouldn't describe myself as left wing, more woolly liberal but I enjoy a whole host of comedians and satirical programmes whether its Mark Steele / Mark Thomas / Nish Kumar or Simon Evans and Geoff Norcott.

I do not even know if this is true but there is certain anger about most comedians.

Any answers?
I think a good comedian isn't right or left, however considering you can be beheaded/shot/murdered if you have the wrong sense of humor it is always a tense line.
The original Charlie hebdo was a good example, they would make fun of everything.

Maybe being right wing just isn't funny.
Maybe the left wing just can't take a joke

Or, maybe there is nothing funny about the left wing, to make jokes about?
you gotta be kidding me..

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Or, maybe there is nothing funny about the left wing, to make jokes about?

There is and always has been something funny about politicians, especially the senior ones, whether left, right or centre.

Their arrogance, lies, hypocrisy, double standards, self-importance, self-preservation, idiotic statements etc. always need to be mocked to keep them in their place as servants of the public, not our masters.

The BBC have created a blacklist of anyone who is a right wing comedian and they're victims of 'cancel culture PC gawn maaaad woke health and safety nanny state.' It's true 'cause Laurence Faux said so.

On the other hand however, like Milkfloat said, right wing comedians are just not funny enough.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
The BBC have created a blacklist of anyone who is a right wing comedian and they're victims of 'cancel culture PC gawn maaaad woke health and safety nanny state.' It's true 'cause Laurence Faux said so.
That'll be a short list then. Jim Davidson and Andrew Lawrence would be my guess!

Top Bottom