What is the point of prison?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

A mildly amusing way of saying, you don't know, thought not ;)

You still haven't explained exactly what you mean by "societal ills", not has @Archie_tect of course
'Societal ills' were PR's words, [which we can't second guess as that would put words in PR's mouth which he never said]... PR will explain what he meant in due course and then we can discuss how to achieve it.

Your 'of course' so casually thrown in at the end implies that you think I raise stuff for fun which I can't answer and then run off and hide- is that what you meant?

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
'Societal ills' were PR's words, [which we can't second guess as that would put words in PR's mouth which he never said]... PR will explain what he meant in due course and then we can discuss how to achieve it.

Your 'of course' so casually thrown in at the end implies that you think I raise stuff for fun which I can't answer and then run off and hide- is that what you meant?

Tbh the whole winky ;) at the end of nearly every post, or statement is a bit misleading, or at least sends out mixed message.

I'm never quite sure does it mean

"I'm not taking any of this seriously"
??

Or

"You know, i know better than you do"

Or

"We are both agreed on something that I'm not explicitly saying, aren't we? "
??

Or does it imply something else again..??

But , if you chuck in a joke it's 'not taking things seriously' and ' not answering properly'

But If you answer seriously, then you're 'taking things too seriously' and will be offered a wink..

Talk about shifting sands...

It all gets a bit tedious after a while .:blink:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

My apologies, I missed @Pale Rider's use of the phase, before you. I I may say so, it is helpful if replying to a post, to quote the post, helps keep "the thread", but, my mistake, or lack of attention.

No, that is not what I meant, I simply meant what I said, ie, you had not responded.

You could, of course, say what YOU mean by "societal ills", without putting words in @Pale Rider's. Your choice of course.

BoldonLad

Tbh the whole winky ;) at the end of nearly every post, or statement is a bit misleading, or at least sends out mixed message.

I'm never quite sure does it mean

"I'm not taking any of this seriously"
??

Or

"You know, i know better than you do"

Or

"We are both agreed on something that I'm not explicitly saying, aren't we? "
??

Or does it imply something else again..??

But , if you chuck in a joke it's 'not taking things seriously' and ' not answering properly'

But If you answer seriously, then you're 'taking things too seriously' and will be offered a wink..

Talk about shifting sands...

It all gets a bit tedious after a while .:blink:
You do have an "ignore" option, I assume ;)

BoldonLad

Yes , and I use it very sparingly, mainly for those I find beyond the pale..

Which doesn't usually include you.

But I'll put you out of sight out of mind, if that's what you'd prefer. :okay:

It is you complaining about me, not the other way round. Please, do as you wish. It makes absolutely no difference to me.

Pale Rider

Veteran
I'd expect these kind of 'binary' black or white responses from some of our regular contributors, but not so much from yourself.

Believe it or not, you are not the first to come up with worthy suggestions about cutting the cause of crime as an alternative to prison.

It has been tried, and found wanting in many cases, for decades.

As I've posted before, the solution will inevitably be a mix of measures designed to prevent offending and locking up persistent criminals.

I would like to see such people made more fearful of the courts.

Look at those rebellion punters.

I bet the ones still at liberty are having second thoughts about their next order of Superglue and hi-viz vests.

Damn good job, too.

D

Deleted member 49

Look at those rebellion punters.

I bet the ones still at liberty are having second thoughts about their next order of Superglue and hi-viz vests.

Damn good job, too
Imagine going to such lengths for something you believe in....risking a prison sentence for it....nah your right lock em up.
I'd go one further give them a good lashing...bring the birch back !
Shame your not so interested in the real crooks who are right there in front of us.

mudsticks

Squire
Imagine going to such lengths for something you believe in....risking a prison sentence for it....nah your right lock em up.
Shame your not so interested in the real crooks who are right there in front of us.

I know, imagine caring about future, unborn generations that much. ??

Imagine , bothering to put your body, and liberty , on the line.??

By the real crooks , you mean the ones knowingly guilty of ecocide..

Destroying, and plundering our shared commons to satisfy their own short term greed?

Yup.

But they're the untouchables, you see..
Despite having buggered the climate, and ecosystems for all the generations to come...

For the generation here, right now, in fact.

But who will go down in history?

(if there is anyone left to tell the history)

Who will go down in history, as

having at least tried to be a 'Good Ancestor'

As having tried to resist, having tried to do something,

Who will that be.??

Archie_tect

My apologies, I missed @Pale Rider's use of the phase, before you. I I may say so, it is helpful if replying to a post, to quote the post, helps keep "the thread", but, my mistake, or lack of attention.

No, that is not what I meant, I simply meant what I said, ie, you had not responded.

You could, of course, say what YOU mean by "societal ills", without putting words in @Pale Rider's. Your choice of course.
I did quote your post challenging me about not commenting on 'societal ills' and referred you to PR's post- I can't answer for him and he would be rightly aggrieved if I did. I'd previously agreed with him that adequately funding the police isn't likely and that there must be alternative ways to help prevent offences being caused in the first place. PR rightly believes that offenders needs to take responsibility for their own weaknesses but I suggested that that can only happen through education and support... this weakness or lack of moral/ethical values can't necessarily be blamed on the parents of offenders, as you have found, so it must be a societal issue which is when PR specifically referred to 'societal ills'.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire

These guys know how to do protest.
They'd have been at it for a year on 26th November.
At great cost to themselves.

Some things are worth standing up for, some people are prepared to do that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-59342627

Good news, so long as it's held to.

Pale Rider

Veteran

You are making the usual mistake of single issue campaign loonies.

Just because I'm not 100% for them, it doesn't mean I'm 110% against them.

Pale Rider Towers is a draughty old Victorian terrace, so no doubt would benefit from some insulation.

You still have a choice.

Go and glue yourself to your local bypass by all means.

Just bear in mind there may be consequences.

Pale Rider

Veteran
These guys know how to do protest.
They'd have been at it for a year on 26th November.
At great cost to themselves.

Some things are worth standing up for, some people are prepared to do that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-59342627

Good news, so long as it's held to.

Pleased to see they are still using proper tractors in India, unlike the monsters we now have here.

That John Deere looks particularly smart with its sun shade.

D

Deleted member 49

You are making the usual mistake of single issue campaign loonies.

Just because I'm not 100% for them, it doesn't mean I'm 110% against them.

Pale Rider Towers is a draughty old Victorian terrace, so no doubt would benefit from some insulation.

You still have a choice.

Go and glue yourself to your local bypass by all means.

Just bear in mind there may be consequences.
Knew you were a old softy Paley....you could glue them to the loft floor stop the draughts at Paley towers ?

Top Bottom