What is the point of prison?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Think the system isn't really working, it's biased to much as seeing the offender as a victim and such as a result, i think that is wrong by definition.
Secondly it wrongly believes and assumes an offender/criminal is always willing and able to work on rehabilitation, there is not option for ''this offender/criminal doesn't want/can not rehabilitate and that is a problem, then you get career criminals and such.

This is seen many times before where experts/doctors/social workers looking after and certain individual are clear in their report ''if we release this person the chance of him/her/it reoffending are a fact rather then chance. '' Yet best of my knowledge their is not really deterrent to keep a person like this locked up unless you can keep someone there on insanity grounds, however that does'nt stop persons who actually are really intelligent but also very dangerous due to various levels of mental illnesses.

The primary goal of a prison system in my view is to deter offenders from offending again, a second objective is to offer offenders the ability to go back to society, the current system seems to make offenders victims even before they have to explain themselves in court and it does'nt seem to get any better thereafter, while it should be about taking reasonability for actions and wrongdoing in the first place not how bad the youth of the offender was and so on.
They might play a role in his behaviour but if someone is allowed to play the victim card because taking responsibility he will never take responsibility and instead start to believe it's all rigged against him..
And that's the mess where in right now, and arsenal of excuses and nobody who ever takes responsibility, no wonder they re-offend again.

icowden

Legendary Member
Luckliy Dom Raab has his finger on the pulse...

I understand that the bar council has offered to dress as Christmas puddings if that would help...

View: https://twitter.com/kirkkorner/status/1462043495951224833?s=20

Pale Rider

Veteran
I see some protesters have been protesting about the motorway protesters getting locked up.

Apparently, this current mob are not part of Insulate Britain, Extinction Rebellion, or any other nutty group, but are 'community led'.

They chose to block Lambeth Bridge in London.

It's not clear to me if the bridge deck is covered by the various injunctions, so those arrested may not go to prison.

A quote from one of the protesters is instructive.

She says she has been arrested six times, with no effective consequence each time.

While that state of affairs repeats, she will never abide by the rule of law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59361145

matticus

Guru
She says she has been arrested six times, with no effective consequence each time.

While that state of affairs repeats, she will never abide by the rule of law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59361145
Not sure I agree with your conclusion. I assume you're referrign to this:

"
Activists on the bridge said they would not be deterred by the threat of prison.

Gabriella Ditton, 27, an animator from Norwich, told the PA news agency she has already been arrested six times with Insulate Britain.

"I expect to go to prison at some point for at least six months because I am not going to be apologetic about this," she said.

"

So if you take her on her word, the consequences are irrelevant.

mudsticks

Squire
Not sure I agree with your conclusion. I assume you're referrign to this:

"
Activists on the bridge said they would not be deterred by the threat of prison.

Gabriella Ditton, 27, an animator from Norwich, told the PA news agency she has already been arrested six times with Insulate Britain.

"I expect to go to prison at some point for at least six months because I am not going to be apologetic about this," she said.

"

So if you take her on her word, the consequences are irrelevant.

Some people just don't seem to be able to comprehend the idea of sacrificing their own liberty for a cause outside of themselves.

I'm sure the suffragettes were regarded as 'nutters' anti slavery campaigners, Greenham Common women, civil rights activists. and a long list of others.
By many people.

But how will history ultimately remember them??

I know quite a few people who have been arrested over the years, when involved in non violent direct action.

It's a deliberate tactic for some groups including XR.

For some reason even though I've had multiple arrests going on around me, the plod never seem to come for me..

..the advantage of being an 'invisible' middle aged woman perhaps :rolleyes:

Pale Rider

Veteran
Some people just don't seem to be able to comprehend the idea of sacrificing their own liberty for a cause outside of themselves.

What a dumb statement, even for you.

There's nothing to comprehend.

You think the demonstrators are heroic social justice warriors, I think they are anti-social lawbreakers lacking maturity who may, or may not, grow up one day.

icowden

Legendary Member
You think the demonstrators are heroic social justice warriors, I think they are anti-social lawbreakers lacking maturity who may, or may not, grow up one day.

A quick history lesson for you

In 1908, Henry Herbert Asquith became Prime Minster of the Liberal Government. He was strongly opposed to women’s suffrage, and headed up a government largely unsympathetic to the Suffragette cause. In response, the Suffragettes became increasingly militant, adopting a policy of window breaking from 1909 and frequently choosing prison sentences instead of paying fines. Demands to be treated as political offenders as opposed to criminals followed suit, and protest in the form of hunger striking was introduced.

So, these women went to prison and eventually the law was changed and they achieved their aims.

Presumably had you been around at the time you would have sided with Asquith as those women
are anti-social lawbreakers lacking maturity who may, or may not, grow up one day.

Pale Rider

Veteran
A quick history lesson for you

So, these women went to prison and eventually the law was changed and they achieved their aims.

Presumably had you been around at the time you would have sided with Asquith as those women

History lesson not needed.

It may be the protests will succeed, it wouldn't be the first time we've done the right thing for the wrong reason, or vice versa.

None of which has anything to do with what I think of the way the protesters go about their business.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I think a lot of them simply enjoy a bit of hooliganism under the cover of trying to achieve something good. As I have said ad nauseum before if they don't practice what they preach they reduce their credibility, at least as far as I am concerned.
There is a line of thought that the increasing militancy of the suffragettes put the cause back rather than helping it, as it put otherwise sympathetic people off.

mudsticks

Squire
I think a lot of them simply enjoy a bit of hooliganism under the cover of trying to achieve something good. As I have said ad nauseum before if they don't practice what they preach they reduce their credibility, at least as far as I am concerned.

There is a line of thought that the increasing militancy of the suffragettes put the cause back rather than helping it, as it put otherwise sympathetic people off.

There's a line of 'thought'

That all these anti racism campaigns
are just making some 'ordinary' folks more racist. :rolleyes:

And your 'thought' that 'a lot of them simply enjoy a bit of hooliganism'

Is based on what evidence??

Or is that just another free ranging prejudice looking for a home.. ??

There's a line of 'thought'

That all these anti racism campaigns
are just making some 'ordinary' folks more racist. :rolleyes:

And your 'thought' that 'a lot of them simply enjoy a bit of hooliganism'

Is based on what evidence??

Or is that just another free ranging prejudice looking for a home.. ??
Be fair, there was that bloke in a vox pop on the telly who said he was going to tear out his loft insulation because the protesters had made the cousin of someone he knows late for work. What more evidence do you need?

mudsticks

Squire
Be fair, there was that bloke in a vox pop on the telly who said he was going to tear out his loft insulation because the protesters had made the cousin of someone he knows late for work. What more evidence do you need?

Crikey yes, you've got a point right there @newfhouse

Tbh I'm probs a bit too staid to be gluing or locking myself onto anything these days.

Never say never though...:whistle:

Although not averse to the occasional bit of active activism, I've got to the point where I'm doing far more 'backroom' stuff.

Conferences, campaigns , and so on.

But very much fair play to those still on the physical frontline - especially overseas where people are getting killed for trying to defend the environment.

FishFright

Those who enjoy a bit of hooliganism have no shortage of times and places to indulge themselves so why on earth would you think they would bother with unrelated protests? Or are you just making stuff up again for attention ? ... again

Top Bottom