What Do We Think So Far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Ideally we'd have a greater range and diversity of people that agree with us."
Not at all.
It's by listening to alternative views that often make us re-evaluate our own.
Some supporting evidence or reasoned arguments about why you hold a certain position, allied to some basic debating skill might be useful if you wish to persuade others of the validity of your views....

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
The Venn diagram of people I disagree with and people I find disagreeable has significant overlap and why on Earth would I want to talk to those people?

winjim

That's also true.
But if you want/need to counteract those views sometimes you need to understand what's forming them.
As a generalisation maybe. But some people are just dickheads. I have no need or desire to debate those people, or try to change their mind or whatever it is that people seem to think we must dedicate our efforts to on this very important forum. I'm happy talking bollocks about politics with people who I broadly agree with, that's fine.

And of course, you're never going to agree with anybody about everything, so I disagree with everybody at some point.

winjim

That's exactly the attitude that rabid Trumpists and QAnon fans have taken.
🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 28

The Venn diagram of people I disagree with and people I find disagreeable has significant overlap and why on Earth would I want to talk to those people?
Isn't this what I said long ago but then got slated for only hanging around with people who think the same as me?

It's obvious, who the f**k wants to waste time talking to people they think are kno*beads.

Having a spirited debate, even with those that hold different views isn't really going to be all that illuminating from either side if the starting point is they are your enemy, that will almost inevitably end up as one set of bigots arguing with another set of bigots?
"Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated....

Enemy used as it was from the quote by Genera Szu in 'The Art of War'. But the principle holds that when debating especially in a debate where you seeking to change opinions it pays to have a good understanding of your opponents true beliefs and motivations. To do that you need to listen and seek clarity of their position however unpleasant a process it may be. Only then might you be able to counter and deconstruct their beliefs.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
"Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated....

Enemy used as it was from the quote by Genera Szu in 'The Art of War'. But the principle holds that when debating especially in a debate where you seeking to change opinions it pays to have a good understanding of your opponents true beliefs and motivations. To do that you need to listen and seek clarity of their position however unpleasant a process it may be. Only then might you be able to counter and deconstruct their beliefs.
I agree with this and would only add (in the real life and not just debating sense) "and possibly be prepared to modify your own"

Top Bottom