War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

So if we were attacked by nuclear weapons from an aggressor we don`t retaliate?

It`s a deterrent and it`ll only be used to pay back in kind.

What's the point ? It'll just be more innocents dead and no change to the outcome.

spen666

Why are Russia quite aggressive towards the U.K?
We could have great trade deals & more of an alliance if we tried. Sure they’re corrupt but the U.K. are friends with other corrupt countries.
Interesting 2 statements there

1.Saying Russia are aggressive to the UK
2. Saying the UK should try harder to get trade deals

Think you have answered the 2nd point with your first

How do you know they don't?
I don’t, but why would they?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I don’t, but why would they?

No idea, but, usually, if I make an assertion such as that, someone asks "how do you know...", thought I would give it a try myself ;)

As I said, IMHO, the risk of a Nuclear attack as a "first strike" option by a functioning Nation State, is vanishingly small (thank goodness), but, the risk from the extreme and/or the unhinged is more worrying.

I could be wrong, I am a cycling retiree, not a Pentagon (or Russian) strategist. ;)

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

What's the point ? It'll just be more innocents dead and no change to the outcome.
Bible says an eye for an eye tooth for tooth etc. If someone in the street slaps you in the face you may instinctively slap them back.

FishFright

Bible says an eye for an eye tooth for tooth etc. If someone in the street slaps you in the face you may instinctively slap them back.

Who then slaps you back so you take an eye for an eye and slap him , repeat and repeat and .......

Just because it's in a really old collection of short stories it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

32E9C0CD-389F-4F20-8E95-101DA82DEA7F.jpeg

Rusty Nails

Country Member
This sort of encompasses the whole argument about pacifism vs the possible justification for war.

In the vanishingly unlikely event of Russia, or some rogue nation, virtually obliterating an area such as Birmingham with a nuclear bomb, should we sit back and do nothing, suck up the death of hundreds of thousands or millions of innocent people, in the hope that that would be the end of it. Or do we show that we can defend ourselves with similar weapons to deter future attack, or hope that our allies would do it for us, or that diplomacy would make the attacker repent.

I admit that war is always a result of failure, but also declare that, while I do not believe I am a warmonger, I also believe that I am not a pacifist. Those are the extremes.

Unfortunately, in this world, we increasingly see that might is right becomes a real factor in relations between nations and the actions of some.

Top Bottom