Voting intentions or who is least worst...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My vote will not go to "who is the least worst" but "who, in my constituency, will be most likely to contribute to getting the Tories out of power".
That, under our virtually duopoly system, will usually be Labour, but it could, depending on the circumstance be Plaid Cymru or LD.

Makes no odds here.

Currently in Daventry held by Chris Heaton-Harris (Con) with a majority of 26k

Under the gerrymandering exercise we move to South Northamptonshire where Andrea Leadsom (Con) has a majority of 27k.

D

Deleted member 28

Makes no odds here.

Under the gerrymandering exercise we move to South Northamptonshire where Andrea Leadsom (Con) has a majority of 27k.
Unlucky!

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Makes no odds here.

Same here, except, massive Labour majority.

spen666

Too many spend their time moaning & whinging about what other parties are doing instead of saying how they would do it better if in power.

This constant negativity is not appealing to the electorate. It might be interesting to the tiny, noisy group of political activists you associate with, but not to the wider electorate.

That is not to say you shouldn't criticise failing policies etc, but doing it without offering realistic, workable alternatives is not attracting voters

Archie_tect

The general impression appears to be that it doesn't matter what the Government does- people aren't bothered as long as their day-to-day lives just bumble along as they are.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Having learnt nothing, Labour is currently trying to outflank a far-right Home Secretary on the right over immigration. Again. Let's say I'm a voter without a party affiliation who finds drowning human beings repugnant and expects serious politicians to act on the climate crisis instead of competing to be the most racist. How am I supposed to know which of the two biggest parties is the 'least worst'? It's a rhetorical question of course - the Tories are still infinitely worse, and they will still get the votes of everyone who enjoys the idea of brown people drowning, and of those who feel a bit queasy about it but not as queasy as they do about any minor downward adjustment to their or their offspring's personal wealth, while Labour haemorrhages votes from everywhere else. But at least those mugs can get dusted off again.

View: https://twitter.com/NickTorfaen/status/1462389716070842369?t=-9en_TUS8ktE88oWDoG_gA&s=19

What's the reasoning behind the English Channel being 'the most dangerous sea crossing in the world'? Because to me that claim seems to be yet another weird form of British exceptionalism.

winjim

There working well for themselves....that's the problem.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, this government measures success in a different way to you or me. They're doing just fine. If Johnson becomes a liability, as some are suggesting he is, they'll replace him and then they've got three years to rewrite the narrative in favour of the personality of whoever they choose and off we go again.

Cirrus

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this government measures success in a different way to you or me. They're doing just fine. If Johnson becomes a liability, as some are suggesting he is, they'll replace him and then they've got three years to rewrite the narrative in favour of the personality of whoever they choose and off we go again.
Quite....

Focusing on Boris and bemoaning how inept he is, whilst easy, is pretty pointless, it's in the same vein as criticizing voters for voting for him, the same bait.

He's just a figurehead and the conservative party machine will use him as it would any figurehead, when he attracts too much bad press and damages them they will replace him. He's not making the policy decisions (my opinion), there will be a small cadre of mini Cummings doing that.

In the end, similar to the bookshop thread, if you want to change the government you need something else for the voters to vote for, something that the current ones aren't doing or doing that they shouldn't be. Unfortunately the opposition parties don't seem to be providing that (in my opinion).

What's the reasoning behind the English Channel being 'the most dangerous sea crossing in the world'? Because to me that claim seems to be yet another weird form of British exceptionalism.

I suspect there's an unsaid condition related to it being a narrow straight. The open Atlantic is obviously more risky as a proposition for crossing.

The Channel has busy shipping lanes, strong tides/currents plus the effect of the prevailing wind. The water is cold enough even in summer for hypothermia to set in. There was an item in the ongoing RNLI 'fly on the wall' programme on BBC2 about 3 weeks ago which featured the rescue of a dinghy of migrants. I've urged @Pale Rider, our most enthusiastic consumer of 'Economic Migrant' propaganda to view it....

mudsticks

Squire
I suspect there's an unsaid condition related to it being a narrow straight. The open Atlantic is obviously more risky as a proposition for crossing.

The Channel has busy shipping lanes, strong tides/currents plus the effect of the prevailing wind. The water is cold enough even in summer for hypothermia to set in. There was an item in the ongoing RNLI 'fly on the wall' programme on BBC2 about 3 weeks ago which featured the rescue of a dinghy of migrants. I've urged @Pale Rider, our most enthusiastic consumer of 'Economic Migrant' propaganda to view it....

I've heard that Cod fish can give you a nasty nip too.

BoldonLad

Not an expert on all things maritime, but, I believe, in addition to considerations of weather, it is because of the volume of shipping passing through. I suspect the more realistic wording would be "one of the most dangerous sea crossings in the world".

winjim

Not an expert on all things maritime, but, I believe, in addition to considerations of weather, it is because of the volume of shipping passing through. I suspect the more realistic wording would be "one of the most dangerous sea crossings in the world".
Compared to what though? Which other sea crossing, that refugees are making on a regular basis, is sufficiently safe that we feel we should be encouraging it?

There's this narrative that we're sending them back for their own good really, nothing to do with how we feel about having them here, which as we know is utter nonsense purely designed to make us feel better about ourselves.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Compared to what though? Which other sea crossing, that refugees are making on a regular basis, is sufficiently safe that we feel we should be encouraging it?

There's this narrative that we're sending them back for their own good really, nothing to do with how we feel about having them here, which as we know is utter nonsense purely designed to make us feel better about ourselves.

That wasn't the question.

To that question, my answer is "no idea".

I don't think we should be encouraging refugees/economic migrants crossing the English Channel in small boats.

We should (IMHO) either, put on a free ferry and remove the danger of the crossing, or, put a stop to it (no, I don't know how). The present situation is endangering lives, and, lining the pockets of various unsavoury "people smuggler" types.

Top Bottom