Virtual Rape or Rape in Virtual Reality?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure what I think of this. There are a lot of "what if's" and grey areas. On the one hand you could say that online avatars are not people, or not physically connected to people, so cannot commit crimes, and if a person felt uncomfortable then they could take their VR headset off and report the user.
On the other hand, it is a virtual violation. It could also imply actual intent from the Vrapist so a reporting mechanism should be in place, much like that of someone boasting online that they can make a bomb to blow people up. It has to be treated as a real threat.

This is at least not complying with online terms of use and is essentially bullinging. At worst it could be seen as threatening someone's safety. How is the user to know whether or not the VRapist intends to find out where they live and do it in real life?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Online games players routinely threaten and curse at each other. Could there be a danger that we give more credence to threats made in VR than other online threats than we do to threats in games simply because the experience is more personal and immersive? If they don't know your real name is the threat any more real? The police wouldn't normally be interested if you were playing Call of Duty online and another player threatened to come round and lamp you.

It is more bullying than a viable threat imo but then again people post death threats to anonymous people on Twitter which can be an offence. I suppose we will see the law evolving to address these issues as individual cases arise.

Not sure what I think of this. There are a lot of "what if's" and grey areas. On the one hand you could say that online avatars are not people, or not physically connected to people, so cannot commit crimes, and if a person felt uncomfortable then they could take their VR headset off and report the user.
Well that's the point some are claiming you can commit online crimes. It also open's a can of worms, because someone playing from Iran has a differened set of norms than someone from Europe or the Us. Makes it a bit of an enforcement headache

On the other hand, it is a virtual violation. It could also imply actual intent from the Vrapist so a reporting mechanism should be in place, much like that of someone boasting online that they can make a bomb to blow people up. It has to be treated as a real threat.
the simplier soluttion would be having an option in the game(settings) to block this. and or remove the possibilty completly (i haven't checked what kind of game this is, and or whterh completly remove would be viable)
This is at least not complying with online terms of use and is essentially bullinging. At worst it could be seen as threatening someone's safety. How is the user to know whether or not the VRapist intends to find out where they live and do it in real life?
as long as the game is transparent in what kind of information each user sees, it's up to the user to protect his/her identity games do not have to be somekind of nanny right?

Top Bottom