USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
Ah, I get it now!

Ian, that was a really funny post. Good thing Boldonlad explained it!
As George Melly said, when it was explained to him that Mick Jagger's facial features were laughter lines - Nothing's that funny!

Rusty Nails

Country Member
There seems to be a lot of relief amongst Democrats, and even some Republicans, that the swing against the incumbent government at a time of some economic hardship is not as large as was touted in many news and political reports.
Apparently the candidates backed by Trump have not done as well as he was forecasting, which means he is less certain to be the next Republican candidate.
I have no great knowledge of DeSantis, and his politics may well be as right wing as Trump for all I know, but he cannot be such a totally dangerous nation as Trump and he may be good enough to get many Republicans to vote for him instead of Trump.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
There seems to be a lot of relief amongst Democrats, and even some Republicans, that the swing against the incumbent government at a time of some economic hardship is not as large as was touted in many news and political reports.
Apparently the candidates backed by Trump have not done as well as he was forecasting, which means he is less certain to be the next Republican candidate.
I have no great knowledge of DeSantis, and his politics may well be as right wing as Trump for all I know, but he cannot be such a totally dangerous nation as Trump and he may be good enough to get many Republicans to vote for him instead of Trump.

DeSantis is seriously anti-woke, he mentioned this a few times in his speech. The crowd liked it.
Am also certain he'll run Trumpy out of town, not sure whether that's a good thing. An inter-republican war can only be a good thing for the Democrats.

Last edited:

C R

DeSantis is just like Trump, rabid anti immigration, vaccine and Covid denier, vote suppresser, he just rather he himself be the boss than lick Trump's arse. The only good DeSantis can do is split the loonie vote, otherwise he would probably be more dangerous than Trump as he has more political experience.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
DeSantis is just like Trump, rabid anti immigration, vaccine and Covid denier, vote suppresser, he just rather he himself be the boss than lick Trump's arse. The only good DeSantis can do is split the loonie vote, otherwise he would probably be more dangerous than Trump as he has more political experience.

They are Republicans so most of those things almost go without question. That is what they are for.

Splitting the loonies vote has to be a good thing.

C R

They are Republicans so most of those things almost go without question. That is what they are for.

Splitting the loonies vote has to be a good thing.

That only works if whichever doesn't get the nomination runs as an independent, otherwise there's nothing that is better about DeSantis.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
That only works if whichever doesn't get the nomination runs as an independent, otherwise there's nothing that is better about DeSantis.

Anti-vaccine and Covid denier are unfortunate and potentially dangerous attitudes, but luckily not as dangerous as it would have been three years ago, and many other Republicans also hold those views. Was DeSantis anti-jab or anti compulsory jab, anti-mask or anti compulsory mask? I am not sure that he is a Covid denier, but there is no doubt he was eventually against strict lockdown, after starting out with stricter lockdown policies. I also doubt there are many Republicans who are not anti-woke and/or anti-immigration.

No one knows what, if it gets that far, a DeSantis candidacy or even Presidency would be like, and I would much prefer to see a Democratic President, but Trump is a complete nutcase and DeSantis has to be a better choice than having an irrational, corrupt nutjob in place. It is a case of lesser evils.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
We thought something similar when Johnson was defenestrated. The outcome was equally bad, just different.

It’s almost as if the figurehead is less important than the machinery and enablers behind the party.

That and they existed before Trump, and will continue in the future.

Do you believe  all Republican Presidents are/will be as bad as Trump and therefore it doesn't matter which Republican is in charge? If so why was there so much anger at and vilification of the man before, since, and following his Presidency?

If so I am afraid you will be in for a long period of disappointment with the choices of the US voters.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
No, hence my use of the phrase ‘less important’ and not ‘irrelevant’.

You are correct in that every leader/figurehead is less important than the party...except the Republican establishment were scared sh*tless that Trump and his camp followers did not accept this and would change the party.

I misunderstood your use of the words "equally bad" when comparing change of leaders in the UK and US.

No one knows what, if it gets that far, a DeSantis candidacy or even Presidency would be like, and I would much prefer to see a Democratic President, but Trump is a complete nutcase and DeSantis has to be a better choice than having an irrational, corrupt nutjob in place. It is a case of lesser evils.
Radio item yesterday described De Santis as Trump with brains.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom