UK set to criminalise illicit refugee crossings....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cirrus

About that, yes.
£63m would start to build a few low-cost/starter homes....

For whom?

mudsticks

Squire
Well quite, my adult children would love to be able to get an affordable place of their own and finally move out.

Well they clearly just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get out there.
My (lefty bred) kids have done that..

Back in my day we made do with a crummy bedsit, tied farm accomodation, or a substandard room in a shared house and just did whatever we had to do.
Kids these days eh??

Just want it all handed to them on a plate..

mudsticks

Squire
About that, yes.
£63m would start to build a few low-cost/starter homes....

Would even create employment too.
There's lots of land that already has pp for housing on it.
The multiple house builders are sitting on it so as to create an artificial scarcity / keep house prices high.

Allowing a lot more regulated self-build on these plots, would mean the cost of the house itself would go down, and people building houses build community at the same time.

Course it's a massive shame that Thatcher allowed selling off of all the social housing stock, as a way to buy votes.

But hey we are where we are.

Cirrus

Well they clearly just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get out there.
My (lefty bred) kids have done that..

Back in my day we made do with a crummy bedsit, tied farm accomodation, or a substandard room in a shared house and just did whatever we had to do.
Kids these days eh??

Just want it all handed to them on a plate..

They will get there eventually

Salty seadog

During a debate in Parliament yesterday about protecting renters from being thrown out onto the streets by unscrupulous landlords,than nice Tory MP for Dover Natalie Elphicke, told of a single mum of 7 kids in her constituency having been thrown onto the streets helpless, whilst people arriving in boats get put into hotels....
Let's just unpack that eh, Natalie?
Apart from a false equivalence, who the fark is in charge of running social services and rules about rentals? As you're thicker than a Devon cobb wall, I'll tell you, it's you and your mates you stupid heartless racist daffodil....

Out on a limb here but I have an inkling that you didn't vote for her.

Cirrus

Of course they will

But meanwhile, shall we stop trying to blame the overinflated prices, lack of availability, and poor overall quality of UK housing stock on asylum seekers.?

It draws attention from the real culprits.
And distracts from finding real solutions.

Who are the real culprits and what are the real solutions for the migration crisis.

mudsticks

Squire
Who are the real culprits and what are the real solutions for the migration crisis.
Depends on what you mean
by 'the migration crisis'
If you're talking about people coming here by dangerous boat crossings instead of having safe routes, I'd say setting up safe routes would be a good step.

For those already here, I'd say putting in an effective system to process the massive backlog of claims, so legitimate claimants could get on with their lives, work, pay taxes, contribute to society, and so on .

The 'crisis' of our government weaponising the plight of these relatively few souls, who seek asylum here, as a distraction from their own mismanagement??

I don't really know, plenty of people seem ready to lap up that story of 'our own' homegrown homeless being homeless because of 'immigrants' don't they?

I'm not sure how you cure wilful ignorance, and a basic lack of understanding, awareness, and humanity.

I really wish I knew, the answer to that one 🤔

Reactions: C R

mudsticks

Squire
The real culprits of a lack of decent housing??

Over capitalisation of property in general.

Selling off of the social housing stock , and not building more.

Various parts of the planning system that favour multiple house builders , over people provisioning for them selves.

D

Deleted member 49

Replacing social housing would create jobs and work.But the lack of social housing means the rental market remains too lucrative for landlords.
Might aswell just rename housing benefit to landlord benefit and be done with it.

Top Bottom