Tory MP stabbed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Interesting to look back at Corbyn & his 'kinder style of politics', and reflect on quite how well the 'they go low, we go high' approach went.
Interesting....I find it infuriating.The election was won on lies and abuse.Now you've got the likes of Francoise telling us we need to be kinder FFS.

mudsticks

Squire
Nobody has said the government shouldn't be held to account. Does using such language hold them to account any better?

Of course any comment on a small cycling forum is of virtually zero significance to anyone or anything, but we are talking about the use of derogatory language in general and to me it adds nothing to the discussion to use hyperbolic terms.

Are the electorate woken up by calling the government scum? I don't think they are. And once you've reduced political discourse to abusive language and it still hasn't worked, where do you go then?

Would Angela's words have got reported at all, if she'd said something more 'measured'

Seems unlikely, particularly with the press we have in this country.

They are a large part of the problem, and of course it's in their interest to keep the status quo, pretty much as it is.

Interesting to look back at Corbyn & his 'kinder style of politics', and reflect on quite how well the 'they go low, we go high' approach went.

Exactly, so many people, largely the press made any number of jibes, along the lines of
'What a sad sack leftie'

Or whatever.

Maybe this country just wants to be 'ruled' by mean minded charlatans, who love nothing better than doing a bit of right wing oppression to help their all expenses paid lunches go down.

Seems like we're heading down a dangerous path to me.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I agree, mud often sticks. But does derogatory language in return make any inroads either?

I'll admit, I'm not sure what can be currently done to unseat Johnson. Covid has dominated everything and to many people everything else, from Brexit to the environment, seems less significant than it would normally be. It's been an unprecedented situation and the Opposition simply haven't been able to make progress against them. I just don't think derogatory language brings that any closer and it's really the tactics of desperation.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Well precisely, which proves the point that some of this schtick sticks and has impact. @AuroraSaab QED.

Corbyn's patter was a big turn off for the majority of the population, whatever their political views.

He was, and is, simply unsupportable as a prospective prime minister, so he took the Labour Party down with him.

That the party allowed that to happen indicates a surprising depth of political stupidity.

Until you consider the current deputy leader, who is doing just as good a job of wrecking Labour's chances, only in a slightly different way.

D

Deleted member 49

Corbyn's patter was a big turn off for the majority of the population, whatever their political views.

He was, and is, simply unsupportable as a prospective prime minister, so he took the Labour Party down with him.

That the party allowed that to happen indicates a surprising depth of political stupidity.

Until you consider the current deputy leader, who is doing just as good a job of wrecking Labour's chances, only in a slightly different way.
Remind me again what Starmer is doing....besides supporting this sh1tshow at every opportunity.

Pale Rider

Veteran
It does get some press coverage just not met with the same frothing outrage as the MSM reserve for Labour.

There is no need for frothing outrage, Ms Rayner speaks eloquently for herself.

As a Tory, I say more power to her elbow because she's doing our job for us.

Remind me again what Starmer is doing....besides supporting this sh1tshow at every opportunity.

Well, he did say he would 'have a word' with his deputy.

mudsticks

Squire
Well precisely, which proves the point that some of this schtick sticks and has impact. @AuroraSaab QED.

And the increase in racist and xenophobic attacks after years of brexitty rhetoric.

I don't recall the 'righties' loud pleas for any of that to be toned down, at any time.

To be clear I'm not suggesting that escalation of unpleasant language is the solution here, in any way, shape,n or form.

But if anyone, is in any position, to 'lecture' the 'other side' on the advisability of language moderation it cerainly isn't the rightwing ticking off the 'limp wristed' progressives :tongue:

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed

And yet in 2017 he came within 10 bribed-for-a-billion-quid DUP seats of being able to form a government.

And yet, and yet, and f*cking yet. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom