This Just In!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
But they haven't.

Davie is saying 'the public is interested' and that's legitimate. He's is validating their interest. He has chosen his words carefully by omitting the word "in".

I took 'legitimate public interest' to mean what I said above, but I accept the short quote could be interpreted otherwise.

As ever, it's up to the reader to decide.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
This bit? I wouldn't say that 'balancing difficult concerns around legitimate public interest' is the same as saying that there is legitimate public interest.

Screenshot_20230718-211043_BBC News.jpg

Pale Rider

Veteran
This bit? I wouldn't say that 'balancing difficult concerns around legitimate public interest' is the same as saying that there is legitimate public interest.

View attachment 4255

Yeah, that bit.

Legitimiate public interest suggests to me just that, it's legitimate, whereas he would not describe prurient interest by the public as 'legitimate'.

He also goes on to say he accepts BBC staff should adhere to a code of conduct, which again suggests he accepts Edwards has, er, legitimate questions to answer.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Yup; it's a deliberately evasive - some might say "diplomatic" - statement, and Paley has bought it big time.

I know we all have our biases but the interpretation of that statement, coupled with the assertion that the Sun wouldn't possibly have done anything to manipulate the social media discourse is so utterly partisan.

I know we all have our biases but the interpretation of that statement, coupled with the assertion that the Sun wouldn't possibly have done anything to manipulate the social media discourse is so utterly partisan.

Be fair. Since his beloved Tories imploded he has very little left to be partisan about.

Top Bottom