These Covid Polices Are Going Well .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
Are Covid policies and lockdowns not good then?, I thought the criticism here was that the Government didn't do it early enough and long enough?
Yep. The issue then was that it was an unknown and there was no vaccine. It had the potential to overwhelm the health service due to the need for ventilation and oxygen. The issue now for the Chinese is that there are effective vaccines, many of the most vulnerable have died and the rest of the world is no longer locking down but living with the virus. Therefore Chinese citizens see these continued severe lockdowns as pointless and restricting their freedom. Remember that they are not being "asked" to stay in their homes, they just get locked into wherever without provision.

Yep. The issue then was that it was an unknown and there was no vaccine. It had the potential to overwhelm the health service due to the need for ventilation and oxygen. The issue now for the Chinese is that there are effective vaccines, many of the most vulnerable have died and the rest of the world is no longer locking down but living with the virus. Therefore Chinese citizens see these continued severe lockdowns as pointless and restricting their freedom. Remember that they are not being "asked" to stay in their homes, they just get locked into wherever without provision.

You have to remember that the public Chinese healthcare system is essentially shoot and will collapse quickly if an outbreak really takes hold.

Also, the Chinese made vaccines are not as effective as the Chinese have been told, Sinovac and Sinopharm, the 2 main ones, only have an efficacy rate of approx. 75%, about 15-20% approx. lower than the Western made vaccines. The western vaccines are not available in China, unsurprsingly. The CCP are playing nationalistic politics with vaccines and Omicron has caught them out.

I've no idea what the heavily censored Chinese media are telling people about what's going on outside China but I think it won't be the full picture.

D

Deleted member 49

Are Covid policies and lockdowns not good then?, I thought the criticism here was that the Government didn't do it early enough and long enough?

I do agree they are brave.
We've never really had the level of lockdowns the Chinese have had though.Shops/buisness closed for a certain amount of time here.We were hardly being imprisoned in factory's and workplaces.
Although I suspect there's a lot more to these protests now.How long before they stamp down ?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
We've never really had the level of lockdowns the Chinese have had though.Shops/buisness closed for a certain amount of time here.We were hardly being imprisoned in factory's and workplaces.
Although I suspect there's a lot more to these protests now.How long before they stamp down ?

Maybe they just care more about their people? (I am jesting)

Maybe, they have "inside knowledge" about Covid, after all, it did originate there (allegedly).

D

Deleted member 49

Wasn't that the criticism aimed at the Government at the time?

Too late and not long enough?
But we were late to lockdown.I think you'll find Hunt was one of the most vocal about too late and not long enough.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Wasn't that the criticism aimed at the Government at the time?

Too late and not long enough?

No government was going to get their population completely satisfied with their approach to Covid restrictions.

From what I can see (although not based on any deep research) I am not sure how strong is the correlation with severity of Covid in terms of mortalities and the severity of the lockdowns across countries with different approaches. In European terms we are about mid-range in mortality rates across all countries, although pretty poor in comparison to the wealthier countries, e.g Sweden with no compulsory lockdown having a much lower mortality rate than the UK.

This was an occasion when it was probably safest to be not the government in charge of managing the pandemic.

Top Bottom