These Covid Polices Are Going Well .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Boris telling us all that we should get our boosters, as a service to others to please hesus..

“That, after all, is the teaching of Jesus Christ, whose birth is at the heart of this enormous festival – that we should love our neighbours as we love ourselves,” he said.

My immediate thought was "Sorry Bozza ,
but theres no way, even I could love my neighbour as much as you love yourself.

- For the record I got boosted a couple of weeks ago...

So that's my Christmas bonhome all done and dusted..

Merry festering all :snowball:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
A promotion campaign = Propaganda (Visual in this case.)
Or a public information campaign....which is a well established role of governments on health issues, as opposed to propaganda..."information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view".
You seem to be backpedalling about your claim that the government is campaigning that vaccines prevent infection and now saying that the government vaccine campaign is propaganda. That is your prerogative of course, but it is still rubbish.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Or a public information campaign....which is a well established role of governments on health issues, as opposed to propaganda..."information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view".
You seem to be backpedalling about your claim that the government is campaigning that vaccines prevent infection and now saying that the government vaccine campaign is propaganda. That is your prerogative of course, but it is still rubbish.
I looked up many definitions of propaganda, and though bias may be present, it ain't necessarily so.
Wikipedia has -
" Propaganda is a modern Latin word, ablative singular feminine of the gerundive form of propagare, meaning 'to spread' or 'to propagate', thus propaganda means for that which is to be propagated... "

So it's still propaganda. It is possible for a campaign to be tendentious without bald untruth, as in encouraging inference without giving full information. Mask wearing is good prevention, but smiles are more photogenic. Even the Green Cross Code was propaganda, though less contentious.

I think I said the media encourages the idea that vaccines are a good preventative rather than the government as such. I read mjr's linked articles - thanks - and find that the emphasis has changed now, since the Omicron experience. Until recently press releases from Pfizer and Moderna were anticipating good prevention from in vitro tests.

Last edited:

Ian H

Guru
I looked up many definitions of propaganda, and though bias may be present, it ain't necessarily so.
Wikipedia has -
" Propaganda is a modern Latin word, ablative singular feminine of the gerundive form of propagare, meaning 'to spread' or 'to propagate', thus propaganda means for that which is to be propagated... "

So it's still propaganda. It is possible for a campaign to be tendentious without bald untruth, as in encouraging inference without giving full information. Mask wearing is good prevention, but smiles are more photogenic. Even the Green Cross Code was propaganda, though less contentious.

You are quoting the etymology, not the modern definition.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
You are quoting the etymology, not the modern definition.
I am aware of that - the neutral derivation is not entirely outdated though. The Cambridge English Dictionary gives something somewhere in between -

https://dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › english › propaganda
propaganda noun [ U ] disapproving uk / ˌprɒpəˈɡændə / us information, ideas, opinions, or images that give one part of an argument, which are broadcast, published, etc. in order to influence people's opinions

I do not think the 'Get Boosted' ad campaign is neutral, however, I think it is one-sided.

Last edited:

Ian H

Guru
I am aware of that - the neutral derivation is not entirely outdated though. The Cambridge English Dictionary gives something somewhere in between -

https://dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › english › propaganda
propaganda noun [ U ] disapproving uk / ˌprɒpəˈɡændə / us information, ideas, opinions, or images that give one part of an argument, which are broadcast, published, etc. in order to influence people's opinions

I do not think the 'Get Boosted' ad campaign is neutral, however, I think it is one-sided.
What would a 'neutral' campaign say?

Top Bottom