These Covid Polices Are Going Well .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Theatre scrubs are not the same thing as the Uniform of a Nurse on a Ward, at an Outpatients' clinic or one doing home visits.

Anyone working near big London hospitals will see uniformed ward staff around and about whether walking, on the bus/tube or in Tesco Metro etc.
I know full well the difference between Theatre scrubs and Uniform she had a 30 yr career covering both, as for seeing people in their Uniforms in the street, it's still wrong!

It's like saying "I see loads of people in shops without a mask ".

Wearing your uniform in the street is asking for infection to be taken in and whether you agree or not it's a fact and an unnecessary risk, pure laziness on the most part if there's provision to get changed.

PaulB

I know full well the difference between Theatre scrubs and Uniform she had a 30 yr career covering both, as for seeing people in their Uniforms in the street, it's still wrong!

Wearing your uniform in the street is asking for infection to be taken in and whether you agree or not it's a fact and an unnecessary risk, pure laziness on the most part if there's provision to get changed.
Ahh, bless.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Yes, Hospital Acquired Infection is a significant problem in the NHS. I think you will find however, only people of a Tory disposition, and/or, those who attended Eton, can be blamed for it, on here. ;)

PaulB

Yes, Hospital Acquired Infection is a significant problem in the NHS. I think you will find however, only people of a Tory disposition, and/or, those who attended Eton, can be blamed for it, on here. ;)
So you 'think' these infections are coming from the staff bringing it in from wearing uniforms on the street and not from the residual bacteria from Covid-infected patients being treated in hospitals then?

Mugshot

Über Member
Have to say I know where Shep is coming from with this one.
The instruction from the Trust I work for is that if you are patient facing, that includes domestics, porters etc, you do not wear your uniform/scrubs to work, or home from work. If you go to the shop on your break, you get changed out of your work gear. At the end of your shift you are supposed to bag your gear, in something like a pillow case, and chuck the whole lot in a 60 wash when you get home.

That's not to say that everyone does (and yes, of course community is different), but they're supposed to.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
So you 'think' these infections are coming from the staff bringing it in from wearing uniforms on the street and not from the residual bacteria from Covid-infected patients being treated in hospitals then?

Did I mention Covid? HAI was a problem long before Covid.

D

Deleted member 28

Right then, yes or no answer.

Do you think there is any valid excuse for wearing your uniform outside of the Hospital if there are available changing rooms?

You don't like admitting that it's unprofessional and downright laziness if Nurses don't get changed in a sterile environment because you've admitted your Wife does it.

Who mentioned Covid anyway, remember the massive problem with MRSA some years ago?

D

Deleted member 28

Anyone working near big London hospitals will see uniformed ward staff around and about whether walking, on the bus/tube or in Tesco Metro etc.
Have you heard yourself?:laugh:

icowden

Legendary Member
So you want District Nurses to strip between each visit, is that right? They leave the patient, strip and change to normal clothes, get in their car or walk to the next patient, then strip off on the doorstep and put their uniform back on?

Seriously?

And then of course there are all the Nurses who don't work in areas where infection control is necessary as they are not dealing with infected patients. If a Nurse works in a hospital, the hospital usually has a canteen and shops, they don't need to pop out anywhere.

Community Nurses on the other hand work in the um... Community. School Nurses work at schools, Health Visitors work at Community Centres or visit people at home. It is neither necessary or practical in many circumstances for a Nurse to remove uniform just because they are not on their home "site". Many in fact only visit a home "site" once per day to complete notes and upload data.

If a Nurse works in an area where it is necessary to manage infection or in an area of medicine where it's a bit icky to be walking around in uniform (e.g. Continence Nurses) then they manage this differently.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Infection control in hospitals is important at any time, but its importance is magnified during this pandemic.

Of course there are different levels of risk, and different areas of work such as home visits where it is impracticable to change between every visit, but that does not mean every patient-facing practitioner in the NHS should not do their best to minimise the chances of bringing infection into the workplace, even if inconvenient. I suspect the vast majority do.

Like a broken clock that is right just twice a day, I think that @shep has a valid point this time.

D

Deleted member 28

So you want District Nurses to strip between each visit, is that right? They leave the patient, strip and change to normal clothes, get in their car or walk to the next patient, then strip off on the doorstep and put their uniform back on?

Seriously?

And then of course there are all the Nurses who don't work in areas where infection control is necessary as they are not dealing with infected patients. If a Nurse works in a hospital, the hospital usually has a canteen and shops, they don't need to pop out anywhere.

Community Nurses on the other hand work in the um... Community. School Nurses work at schools, Health Visitors work at Community Centres or visit people at home. It is neither necessary or practical in many circumstances for a Nurse to remove uniform just because they are not on their home "site". Many in fact only visit a home "site" once per day to complete notes and upload data.

If a Nurse works in an area where it is necessary to manage infection or in an area of medicine where it's a bit icky to be walking around in uniform (e.g. Continence Nurses) then they manage this differently.
I'll tell you what, read what I've said and pass comment on that.

Did I say District Nurses? No because it's not practical.

Did I mention any of the other roles you've brought up? No because it's not practical.

Any thoughts on the scenario's I HAVE spoken about?

It's necessary to manage infection throughout any Hospital surely and if not wearing your uniform in the street or on the Bus/tube or in a supermarket before entering said Hospital it will reduce risk.

If you can't see this mate you're even more blinkered and just out for a row than I thought.

Just read any medical guidelines on the subject.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Nice little slur there but I don't mind, probably couldn't bring yourself to just agree.:rolleyes:
I doubt that it came as much surprise to you that I disagree with most of what you write, but I agree with you on this issue and believe that some of the responses are tackling the man not the ball.

icowden

Legendary Member
Any thoughts on the scenario's I HAVE spoken about?
Yes, my thought is that in response to another forum member who mentioned that his partner wears her Nurses uniform to do shopping on the way to work, you said:-

Why does your missus wear her uniform outside of the hospital, unless she isn't patient facing, that's not really very good for infection control is it?
Then, numerous people have pointed out that you have made a false assumption. Just because you are wearing a Nurses uniform, it doesn't mean that you work in a hospital. You have continued to argue the toss and failed to acknowledge that you might have made a boo boo, or conceded that all Nurses do not work in hospitals.

Thus we have helpfully tried to point out that the Nurse in question could be a:-
  • Community Nurse
  • School Nurse
  • Health Visitor
Or any other nurse that does not work in a hospital setting or infection sensitive environment.

Top Bottom