These Covid Polices Are Going Well .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

We know that.
What's it mean then?

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I would imagine earning 200k per year, apparently, is a good enough reason not to resign.
I think, absent the CMO post, he'd find plenty of other opportunities...
" A doctor and epidemiologist with an enormous reputation among colleagues, he has devoted much of his career to malaria research in Africa. Previously chief scientific adviser at the Department for International Development and the Department of Health. "
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-scientific-group-advising-uk-government-sage

Chris Witty, despite his credentials, is not at the top of the SAGE group - others are probably better placed in the money-making business.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
You are unlikely to read much about this in the Guardian however -
https://europepmc.org/article/PPR/PPR303143
Why COVID-19 is not so spread in Africa:
"Conclusions
The morbidity and mortality in the onchocerciasis endemic countries are lesser than those in the non-endemic ones. The community-directed onchocerciasis treatment with ivermectin is the most reasonable explanation for the decrease in morbidity and fatality rate in Africa. In areas where ivermectin is distributed to and used by the entire population, it leads to a significant reduction in mortality. "

Onchocerciasis is better known as river blindness.

The importance of the body's T cell response as contrasted with in vitro antibody production is also under-reported -
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-...n-why-immunity-is-about-more-than-antibodies/
"Potential for long-term immunity
Early research suggests that the antibodies in people infected with SARS-CoV-2 dropped significantly within 2 to 3 months [21,22], causing concern that humoral immunity against the virus may decline rapidly. However, it is a normal part of the immune response that antibody levels fall after an infection has resolved [23]. For example, in seasonal coronavirus infections, antibodies start to decline at about a week after infection and typically only last for about a year [24]. It should also be noted that memory T and B cells are formed after infection [25,26]; these can be reactivated when another infection with the same virus occurs and could provide long-lasting immunity. A preliminary study that has not yet undergone peer review has shown that memory T and B cells were found in patients with mild COVID-19 symptoms who had recovered and that these cells persisted, suggesting the potential for longer-term immunity."

Incidentally the Astra-Zeneca team are suggesting that their vaccine provides rather good T-cell protection.

Last edited:

stowie

I reckon the government are just riding the wave as long as it holds. They have nothing to fear from the opposition.

Johnson knows the opposition cannot get him until 2024. His own backbenchers can get him next week.

He is absolutely captured by the ERG types on his backbenches. They put him there and they know they can get him out as well. Any stricter measures may be accepted by the public but Johnson knows he will be toast with his own MPs. So no matter what happens this week, the rules won't change until at least after Christmas. And I doubt he will have the courage to do anything other than tinker around the edges after that either.

He is having to govern as if he has a slim majority even though he should breeze through with 80 seats. There is something rather ironic about him being hamstrung by disloyalty when he did the same to May's government, but it would be nice if we weren't in a pandemic when it was happening.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I read today that an AfD member of the Baden-Württemberg state parliament, Dr Bernd Grimmer, has just died of covid aged 71 and following a short illness.

He was one of those complaining about the measures to curtail the spread of the virus, panic-making, alarmism, trying to compel those who 'thankfully' have not been vaccinated to get vaccinated. Praised Sweden for their less stringent measures. Isn't that a familiar theme from the far right these days.

He was not vaccinated himself.

I would like to believe that this might just make some in the AfD reconsider their position, but I doubt it. They are too blinded by their own ideological dogma.

Schadenfreude would be completely out of place, but the irony of this is incredible.

Milzy

And everyone at football singing he is a see you next Tuesday.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
A preprint from March and it still hasn't passed the reviewers? I wonder why.
Well, it's an analysis of data in the public domain, so not needing review in the same way as clinical or lab research. Other reasons could be of three types I suppose - either doctors and academics think it is erroneous (in which case why not review it to show that?), or they don't want to be associated with it (which wouldn't surprise me hugely given the current climate of opinion), or even they are too busy treating people (which seems quite likely).

Worth reading to draw your own conclusions I think.

Last edited:

Milzy

It’s been proven that the latest variant is less deadly than Delta & many more are jabbed up to 2 & 3 yet Scotland & Wales are bed wetters hiding behind the sofa double masked.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Would you show me the evidence that Omicron is so much less deadly please Milzy? The article I quoted has a pretty good argument for it being less deadly in Africa but not necessarily here.

It’s been proven that the latest variant is less deadly than Delta & many more are jabbed up to 2 & 3 yet Scotland & Wales are bed wetters hiding behind the sofa double masked.

Not yet proven I think but looking that way. But it's much more infective so many more cases. The known unknown is how many of those infected end up in ICU. Wales and Scotland have deployed the precautionary principle.

Boris bottled it.

Top Bottom