The UK political parties - what's going on?? thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Here is yet another Jewish voice on the subject
https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/another-day-another-purge-jay-kramers-expulsion/
There are many more. Nothing to do with membership of proscribed groups.
Without seeing the reasons given for expulsion that does seem tough for someone who was just being a bit controversial. When will the appeal be heard?

How many individual expulsions have there been other than for membership of proscribed groups?

I note that the Jewish Labour Movement supports the proscription of the four groups:

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/...ick-far-left-factions-out-of-party-1.10015303

Nothing is straightforward in the Labour Party, when even the Jewish supporters are split.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Dennis Skinner didn't join Jeremy Corbyn's shadow cabinet when asked, because he thought reform of the Labour party from the grass roots was needed before he could take such a role. I thought at the time and still think he was right. The 'leadership cult' was not of Corbyn's choosing either.

I see no evidence that Jeremy Corbyn manipulated the situation for his own ends or to get elected leader, he took the leadership because he was nominated and elected. He then had to front some policies he did not wholeheartedly support, such as the second referendum call, because it was party policy. He was democratic to that extent.

These two paragraphs can be read in either order.
It's lucky that I didn't say that he manipulated the situation for his own ends. I doubt that he had the instinct or the ability to do that, but was carried up by the mood of the moment, supported/led by some more streetwise performers such as McDonnell and McCluskey and quite legitimately thought he could help move the party to the direction he/they thought it should take. Not his fault if he wasn't up to it in the long run.
He was a good back bencher with a mind of his own.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
It's lucky that I didn't say that he manipulated the situation for his own ends. I doubt that he had the instinct or the ability to do that, but was carried up by the mood of the moment, supported/led by some more streetwise performers such as McDonnell and McCluskey and quite legitimately thought he could help move the party to the direction he/they thought it should take. Not his fault if he wasn't up to it in the long run.
He was a good back bencher with a mind of his own.
I don't know how many dodgy expulsions altogether, JVL have many you can read. I had email news feeds of several local constituency parties that were suspended en masse or had officers suspended at various times for passing motions to re-instate Jeremy Corbyn or questioning other suspensions.

It's not that Corbyn wasn't up to it. More that the job is framed on the wrong terms. I do think a share of responsibility falls to the hero worshippers who didn't put as much effort in for grass roots reform as they did to cheering. Anyone who wants a quick fix, lefties included, is barking up the wrong tree.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Some oddness on our neighbourhood facebook group as a warning about a couple shagging in the bushes of a local park is suffixed with the comment 'I'm not a prude. I'm liberal and I vote Labour'.

Are Labour known as a pro dogging party? I'd have thought that would be the Lib Dems. Probably also individual Tories although not the party itself...

Mugshot

Über Member
Some oddness on our neighbourhood facebook group as a warning about a couple shagging in the bushes of a local park is suffixed with the comment 'I'm not a prude. I'm liberal and I vote Labour'.

Are Labour known as a pro dogging party? I'd have thought that would be the Lib Dems. Probably also individual Tories although not the party itself...
Shouldn't this be a reply to Milzy's 'what would have been better under Corbyn's Labour' query, in the Sleaze thread?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Nothing like a bit of judgemental stereotyping, makes the world such a lovely place ;)

winjim

Nothing like a bit of judgemental stereotyping, makes the world such a lovely place ;)
I've said it before but that winky face makes it nigh on impossible for me to interpret the meaning of your posts. There's a joke here but I have no idea if you're joining in with it or just don't get it at all.

Mugshot

Über Member
I've said it before but that winky face makes it nigh on impossible for me to interpret the meaning of your posts. There's a joke here but I have no idea if you're joining in with it or just don't get it at all.
Or was in the bushes.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

I struggle the same, with the ambiguity.

Either a lack of commitment to what's been said, or a joke that apparently we 'all' supposedly get and agree with - even if we actually don't.

Or something else entirely.

As per I'm definitely overthinking things and need to get on with my work, either way ;)

winjim

I struggle the same, with the ambiguity.

Either a lack of commitment to what's been said, or a joke that apparently we 'all' supposedly get and agree with - even if we actually don't.

Or something else entirely.

As per I'm definitely overthinking things and need to get on with my work, either way ;)
I sometimes like to use ambiguity in my posts as a bit of a tease, see who gets it, that sort of thing but I don't see the point in this case. I used stereotypes to make a joke about stereotypes, so pointing out my use of stereotypes seems entirely redundant to me.

I do worry in circumstances like this that there may be some underlying additional joke that I haven't understood myself...

Mugshot

Über Member
I sometimes like to use ambiguity in my posts as a bit of a tease, see who gets it, that sort of thing but I don't see the point in this case. I used stereotypes to make a joke about stereotypes, so pointing out my use of stereotypes seems entirely redundant to me.

I do worry in circumstances like this that there may be some underlying additional joke that I haven't understood myself...
To be honest I'm less concerned about this and more with the outcome of your story.

Were the miscreants apprehended?
How did our Labour voter handle the situation, bucket of water, call the police, watch for the duration to make sure they were sufficiently appalled?
Were there M&Ms involved?

Ian H

Guru

Social media is full of people earnestly failing to see the joke (I've probably been guilty myself).

winjim

To be honest I'm less concerned about this and more with the outcome of your story.

How did our Labour voter handle the situation, bucket of water, call the police, watch for the duration to make sure they were sufficiently appalled?
General feeling is that it's a well known spot for that sort of thing although it is a bit chilly right now so good on them. The OP's conclusion was 'I don't mind as long as they clean up after'

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

The social media equivalent , of that nightmare, about being caught out in a shopping centre, whilst wearing only a slightly too short vest ...

It's like only ever being two steps away from moral philosophy.

There's usually sticky fingers involved somewhere along the line

General feeling is that it's a well known spot for that sort of thing although it is a bit chilly right now so good on them. The OP's conclusion was 'I don't mind as long as they clean up after'
Nothing like a bit of vigorous activity in the 'great outdoors'..

Isn't that what we're about on here, after all??

Top Bottom