The sport of kings, but maybe not queens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
A parable of our times played out in a horse racing disciplinary hearing.

Jockey Robbie Dunne was firmly nailed for being a nasty twat to fellow jock Bryony Frost, earning himself an 18 month ban.

Or at least he was firmly nailed at the hearing, but reaction afterwards has been very mixed.

Despite the verdict, Dunne still has some high profile supporters, both in the weighing room and in the commentary box.

ITV Racing is asserting the dispute had nothing to do with gender, but was purely based on Dunn'e claim that Frost's riding caused his horse to fall and suffer a fatal injury.

Assuming he did speak to her in the manner complained of, I'd have banned him for 18 months simply for being a bully, irrespective of the gender of his victim.

The inference that Frost doesn't understand weighing room culture or can't hack it is also cobblers.

She's been around racing for years, so fully knows what the crack is.

This Guardian story is slanted a little in Frost's favour, but does try to cover both sides of the argument.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...bbie-dunnes-abuse-of-bryony-frost-is-shameful

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Personally I think 18 months is too long a ban. 6 months would be more likely to allow reason to prevail. Bryony Frost has been forced to be brave beyond justice and face repercussions beyond the necessary.

Oh, and please, not the 't' word.

If language like that were used in any workplace I've been in this century then gross misconduct would be the likely charge. That's before the aggravating factor of misogyny is chucked in.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Filthy language has been used in most of my working, and many recreational environments. Misogynist language sometimes results from that because swear words tend to be that way. Whatever his intent was a shorter ban would make jockeys self-regulating their ways (a good thing) more achievable. There is a big difference between taking a 6 month breather and becoming so out of condition you lose your life's calling, not just a job. This is bound to polarise opinion and make Bryony Frost's situation more difficult.

If Dunne's riding was deliberately life-endangering that is more serious. I don't have telly or video at the moment so I don't know.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
If language like that were used in any workplace I've been in this century then gross misconduct would be the likely charge. That's before the aggravating factor of misogyny is chucked in.

Not condoning foul language, or, any other aspects of his behaviour, but, I can only assume you never worked in An IT environment or a Shipyard ;)

Ian H

Guru
The Professional Jockeys' Association is pushing back against the verdict. Shades of Yorkshire cricket.

I'm afraid my impressions of (horse) racing stop at slightly grubby men in trilbies, and a gin-soaked Queen-Mother.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Not condoning foul language, or, any other aspects of his behaviour, but, I can only assume you never worked in An IT environment or a Shipyard ;)

Or a newsroom, or a building site, or lots of factories, or the police (less so, nowadays), or the fire service (ditto).

It does appear Dunne took it too far, but any judgment on conduct in the workplace is subjective.

He's also thick, because he ought to have been able to see which way social mores have been heading in the last decade or two.

I'm the most politically incorrect person I know, but even I'm a bit more careful than I was not so many years ago.

I was a Civil Servant from 1978 to 2013. Misogyny, Racism etc were widespread in the first years but declined later.

By 99/2000 the overt expression of such opinions was likely to be a disciplinary matter.

D

Deleted member 28

Filthy language has been used in most of my working, and many recreational environments. Misogynist language sometimes results from that because swear words tend to be that way. Whatever his intent was a shorter ban would make jockeys self-regulating their ways (a good thing) more achievable. There is a big difference between taking a 6 month breather and becoming so out of condition you lose your life's calling, not just a job. This is bound to polarise opinion and make Bryony Frost's situation more difficult.

If Dunne's riding was deliberately life-endangering that is more serious. I don't have telly or video at the moment so I don't know.
Who's this I wonder?

Mud and sticks springs to mind?

Top Bottom