The role of gender and words...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Anyway, I think not being able to call a Male Firefighter a Fireman IS ridiculous
What do you mean by 'not being able to'? What's stopping you? But calling a female Firefighter a Fireman is even more ridiculous, is it not? So one word that describes all of the people doing the same job makes sense. Do you agree?

By You may THINK that, but, do you have any evidence, or, dare I say, proof, of that?

Personally, I see little or no evidence that anyone on this forum, regardless of political persuasion, has learned, or even listened, to anyone of a differing view.

I've listened to many people on here and on the main CC site from all political persuasions. No-one has exactly the same views as the next, and I've changed my way of thinking on several things from what I've read in those places. Not huge leaps from one side of the political spectrum to the other, but small changes perhaps.

I know that's my personal experience not evidence, but what's the point in any of this if no-one listens to anyone else? We must all be shouting into the void otherwise and I don't think that's the case.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I've listened to many people on here and on the main CC site from all political persuasions. No-one has exactly the same views as the next, and I've changed my way of thinking on several things from what I've read in those places. Not huge leaps from one side of the political spectrum to the other, but small changes perhaps.

I know that's my personal experience not evidence, but what's the point in any of this if no-one listens to anyone else? We must all be shouting into the void otherwise and I don't think that's the case.

Well, I do hope your view is correct......

Pale Rider

Veteran
The fire services seem to like firefighter as a job description - a person who fights fires - which is fair enough.

I once asked the chief fire officer of the Tyne and Wear Brigade how many firefighters they have - about 300.

Of those, how many are women?

"Let me think," he said. "There's a lass at Gateshead."

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Hockey in the 6th form on the other hand was an altogether different situation, armed with the same weaponry as everyone else evened things up and I got no shoot on the field at all then.
Anyhow, we digress.....

Indeed we do, but I also found hockey to be a great leveller. I was always put in defence (asthma, can't run), and enjoyed the precision of whacking the ball back up the pitch away from the show-offs.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Personally, I see little or no evidence that anyone on this forum, regardless of political persuasion, has learned, or even listened, to anyone of a differing view.

As a floating centrist, I dispute that allegation! I am always open to persuasion and logical coherent argument. Hence my interest in such ephemera as @themanwhohasitall and whether by changing our perspectives we can make the world a bit better for everybody.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The fire services seem to like firefighter as a job description - a person who fights fires - which is fair enough.

I once asked the chief fire officer of the Tyne and Wear Brigade how many firefighters they have - about 300.

Of those, how many are women?

"Let me think," he said. "There's a lass at Gateshead."

My brother was a firefighter in T&W brigade (now retired), I think there are more females now. They were advertising recently, with the emphasis on women. I have been trying to convince daughter no 4 to apply. So far without success.

D

Deleted member 28

What do you mean by 'not being able to'? What's stopping you? But calling a female Firefighter a Fireman is even more ridiculous, is it not? So one word that describes all of the people doing the same job makes sense. Do you agree?
They're both firefighters which isn't a problem but if calling the bloke a Fireman was looked on as somehow 'wrong ' I find that ridiculous.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
These days, if you say you're English...

theclaud

Reading around the chip
They're both firefighters which isn't a problem but if calling the bloke a Fireman was looked on as somehow 'wrong ' I find that ridiculous.
Has anyone said it's wrong to call a Fireman a Fireman? And if not, what is it that you're getting twisty-knickered about?

You may THINK that, but, do you have any evidence, or, dare I say, proof, of that?

You may see little evidence, but that's not to say it's not occurring.....
My views have differed notably in many areas over the years that I have been on CC and its predecessor as a direct result of debates and good arguments by people here. It happens by osmosis, but it does happen.

D

Deleted member 28

Has anyone said it's wrong to call a Fireman a Fireman? And if not, what is it that you're getting twisty-knickered about?
What's your issue here?

The whole thread is about gender neutral descriptions for job roles and the fact it might hold people back, Doctor, Astronaut were 2 examples given in this very thread, someone else then went on to say something about 'being disrespectful' to the service or something, and someone else thinking it 'unnecessary' to use the description.

I disagree and think it's boll0x, there's no knicker twisting involved.

Next time you disagree with an opinion I'll ask you about your underwear situation at the time if you like?

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
There ought to be some kind of redundancy principle used here. If you're reasonably sure it's going to be a postman, there's no need to say man, so you may as well just call him a postie. If you don't know it's going to be a man, you may as well leave the misleading man bit out as well, and call whoever it turns out to be a postie.

Personally, I see little or no evidence that anyone on this
forum, regardless of political persuasion, has learned, or even listened, to anyone of a differing view.
Really? Do you include yourself in that?

Perhaps I’m an oddity but I have learned a lot by listening to others. In many topic areas I have my natural biases confirmed, in others I have become much less certain of my position, and I expect if I gave it some thought I could think of occasions when I have been persuaded to change my mind.

Top Bottom