The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
And I say that as someone who, in a previous life, appeared on the BBC to defend the current scientific consensus (not, I hasten to reassure you, on whether the earth is flat, but on something else).
Can I just state - for the record - that I neither believe in a flat earth, NOR in reincarnation.

Thankyou.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
i saw that - what a curious creature - defying her party on behalf of her constituents - terribly off message - showing up the others like that.

I thought this was ultimately an uplifting story too, after being forced to live of a 'double life' and deny his own identity he finally got things changed.

But at no small cost to himself -

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ng-out-then-fought-ceaselessly-for-gay-rights

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Well I appreciated your stay in the thread lay-by!
i'm more about human spirit, and indeed life force in all things.
A bit vague isn't this? It doesn't gel much with the science and reason brigade.
It's interesting how those types of deities always to end up cheerleading and justifying the humans who are already overmighty - you know divine rights of kings - the patriarchy - that kind of thing.
Always do this?

But Jesus called them to him and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you; but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, ...

If we are still comparing with Marx, has any marxist state ever been anything other than totalitarian, where you have to bow and scrape to the Party and its particular leader, follow an ideology whether you believe in it or not?
he [Smit] might give the old exorcism thing a go, in addition to all other options, to nominally chase away the disgruntled spirits of previous head gardeners
I had a quick look at the chapter in his book out of curiosity. Apart from some paranormal things he experienced earlier, Smit's Heligan stuff was more 'atmosphere' and things being moved in locked rooms. I wonder what Smit's explanation of this ceasing post-vicar would be.
The human mind is as we know deeply suggestible.
That is true and always should be taken into account in claims of vague notions of a 'presence of evil'. The mind does, however, have its limitations.
The Eden project is worth a look too.
The British don't seem to have much of a concept of a family ticket, when we considered going there it seemed just too much money to spend. It probably is worth visiting if we get back to Cornwall in the not too distant future.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Well I appreciated your stay in the thread lay-by!

A bit vague isn't this? It doesn't gel much with the science and reason brigade.

Always do this?

But Jesus called them to him and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you; but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, ...

If we are still comparing with Marx, has any marxist state ever been anything other than totalitarian, where you have to bow and scrape to the Party and its particular leader, follow an ideology whether you believe in it or not?

I had a quick look at the chapter in his book out of curiosity. Apart from some paranormal things he experienced earlier, Smit's Heligan stuff was more 'atmosphere' and things being moved in locked rooms. I wonder what Smit's explanation of this ceasing post-vicar would be.

That is true and always should be taken into account in claims of vague notions of a 'presence of evil'. The mind does, however, have its limitations.

The British don't seem to have much of a concept of a family ticket, when we considered going there it seemed just too much money to spend. It probably is worth visiting if we get back to Cornwall in the not too distant future.
like i said I'm not an atheist personally.

And although i have great regard for the scientific method - when done properly without without biases - such as done primarily for commercial gain - i dont subscribe to the cult of scientism either.

Im happy to admit to not knowing anything for absolutely sure - but i also don't have a religious faith - i've enquired - but nope - not convinced..

On balance i observe organised religions to do as much evil as good - or at least thats what seems to happens when the original basic tenet of ' Just try to be decent humans' - you know what that looks like really don't you ??.

When moved away from in order to excuse the less than edifying aspects of human nature.

I'm not here on earth to persuade anyone else of my view, prosletise , or convert anyone to my way of thinking.

I try (and frequently fail) to live a life aligned with spiritual, yet secular humanist values -
- but that failure isn't due to a lack of 'faith' its just because i am human...

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
The trouble with religion is it gives a get out clause in life. This especially with Christianity - as it was written up it became a social force for resignation and acceptance of social ills, whereas Jesus himself seems to have been in rebellion against orthodoxy.

The idea that God will bring about a just order implies to many followers that you need do nothing more than repent and pray. There can be no ultimate agreement between different strands of religion and bible scholars still have to use personal judgement in interpretation of what is right. This implies that there is some human notion of ethical behaviour by which we decide things, whether or not god exists.

NB - I could put this post in the 'climate crisis' thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I wuz brung up by priests.
This be the verse.

Well I'm afraid I defied Phil, and done did the breeding already.

I've tried to pass on my multiplicity of faults to the kids, I really did, but they only went and rebelled and turned out ok..

Both went to churchy CofE type primaries..
Because that was what was available.

Solid heathens , the pair of 'em .. :okay:

Top Bottom