The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
That's a bit like blaming Jesus for the Westboro Baptist Church.

So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. A sound tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.

On that basis, Jesus doesn't come out all that well.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
On that basis, Jesus doesn't come out all that well.
I had a suspicion you would say something like that. :smile: I have a shrewd idea whose words will prevail in the end.

Gregory Gysi, a personable member of Die Linke, the strongly left party in Germany and to some extent the successor to the old DDR communist party, made an interesting comment on a talk show. He said 'I really think that there is no God, but I support the work of the churches because they teach that you should love your neighbour as yourself and there is no-one else who does so'. I found that a very telling remark from someone who I think would have preferred to keep and reform the old DDR. An admission that, having suppressed religion, it was a cold, loveless society.

If you want a loveless society, choose Marx. If you choose Jesus then you will have to look after the interests of others and not just your own. You won't get much of a political ideology out of that, but in a society where people do that you are less likely to need one.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I had a suspicion you would say something like that. :smile: I have a shrewd idea whose words will prevail in the end.

Gregory Gysi, a personable member of Die Linke, the strongly left party in Germany and to some extent the successor to the old DDR communist party, made an interesting comment on a talk show. He said 'I really think that there is no God, but I support the work of the churches because they teach that you should love your neighbour as yourself and there is no-one else who does so'. I found that a very telling remark from someone who I think would have preferred to keep and reform the old DDR. An admission that, having suppressed religion, it was a cold, loveless society.

If you want a loveless society, choose Marx. If you choose Jesus then you will have to look after the interests of others and not just your own. You won't get much of a political ideology out of that, but in a society where people do that you are less likely to need one.
Have you ever even read any Marx?

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Perhaps the first philosopher of mutual aid - Mozi. Another carpenter changed by history.
Mozi mutual love.jpg

As far as I can make out, the only original words of Jesus preserved intact are 'get up girl' - Michael Jackson's loose translation from the Aramaic - Mark 5.41

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. A sound tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.

I anticipated this kind of reply by looking at the legacy of Marx in what his disciples did with his theories in the last century. Marx was not a sound tree and he has never born good fruit. It never ceases to amaze me that there are still those who think Marx was sound and 'if only his ideas had been better implemented' you would have achieved a utopian society on earth.

The same could be said for any bunch of people using doctrinal ideologies, such as 'Christians' trying to excuse cultural religious and economic imperialism, and 'jihadists' justifying violence, against the 'infidel' etc.

They had / have utopian ideas too, which don't take into account our very human frailties, and they tried to justify their unjustifiable actions in thta way.

It's all about human, very often male egos, and their certainties about their chosen supernatural beings or prophets or political theorists who know the one 'true way'
Those egos then get carried away with themselves, and trying to impose their 'will' on others.

Fwiw I have no 'religious' beliefs but I have plenty of humanist spiritual ones*

Knowing that we are all interconnected, and interdependent, as humans, and interconnected and interdependent within the natural ecosystems of this planet does not require religious, or supernatural, or indeed political beliefs..

It's plain to see, self evident.

It's mainly our egos, greed, and fear that get In the way of bringing our best selves to every situation, in order that our behaviours align with this self evident truth..

I do know quite a lot about productive trees though..

The type of fruit that a tree bears largely depend on variety, rootstock, and growing conditions.
If you want good fruit you also need to know about pruning and training.

Don't blame the tree if it doesn't bear good fruit.
Look at the conditions you've planted it in, see to the aftercare..

'Evil fruit' - what a curious notion, fancy calling fruit 'evil'

Even fruit, poisonous to humans is a good source of nutrition to other creatures, creatures with whom we share this planet,

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
To be fair to Jesus I'll agree on the Avocado...food of the devil !

That's because they're not food for the likes of you Adam, leave them things alone - theyre for feeding Hipsters and the little baby hipsterkins .

And yes always pays to be fair to hesus - you just never know when he's going to put in appearance - perhaps even on your toast before you smooosh avocado into it..:whistle:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
That's because they're not food for the likes of you Adam, leave them things alone - theyre for feeding Hipsters and the little baby hipsterkins .

And yes always pays to be fair to hesus - you just never know when he's going to put in appearance - perhaps even on your toast before you smooosh avocado into it..:whistle:
Apparently Meghan Markle's eaten them all anyway, and destroyed the world in the process.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Apparently Meghan Markle's eaten them all anyway, and destroyed the world in the process.

Hmmn, tbh that sounds like exactly the sort of thing she would do -

- and was that after or before she dissed queenie by wearing a hat an improper angle, and then stealing away the favourite grandson to forrin lands..?? :sad:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Hmmn, tbh that sounds like exactly the sort of thing she would do -

- and was that after or before she dissed queenie by wearing a hat an improper angle, and then stealing away the favourite grandson to forrin lands..?? :sad:
I believe it was after she raised the huge sum of £36k for her and Harry's charity Archewell Foundation in between making squillions for themselves via Netflix and other self-promoting sources, flying everywhere by private jet to promote green issues and coming up with trite clichés. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it and they bravely and self-sacrificingly stepped up to the plate

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I believe it was after she raised the huge sum of £36k for her and Harry's charity Archewell Foundation in between making squillions for themselves via Netflix and other self-promoting sources, flying everywhere by private jet to promote green issues and coming up with trite clichés. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it and they bravely and self-sacrificingly stepped up to the plate

You are Nicholas Witchell aicmfp

Rusty Nails

Country Member
You are Nicholas Witchell aicmfp
Prince Charlie's opinion of Witchell:

"I can't bear that man. I mean, he's so awful, he really is."

P.S. I am a republican and mostly anti-monarchist, but I am even more anti-hypocritical chancers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom