The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
The American NRA would subscribe to that.
I could pick holes in their reasoning.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
For example, "proud defenders of history's patriots" -
As a woman, I would say that history's patriots are something I need to defend myself against, as they have little or nothing to do with liberty.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
What about stuff like community, justice, and shared humanity.?
Community solidarity is the best self-defence - we are social beings.

Justice anly happens if we are prepared to stick up for it - all social movements have had to struggle for it, and if you sit back and take it for granted it doesn't last.

Beebo

Veteran
England are 64 without loss in Hobart. I can go out on my bike without a care.:smile:
Oh that aged badly! Even if you were expecting the inevitable collapse.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Community solidarity is the best self-defence - we are social beings.

Justice anly happens if we are prepared to stick up for it - all social movements have had to struggle for it, and if you sit back and take it for granted it doesn't last.

Yes I sort of thought you meant mutuality, and community, that kind of thing, rather than rootin tootin 'I'm a self made maverick, and I got me a gun to prove it' kind of attitude.

And for sure to the second..

The struggle is real, and ongoing.

Apathy kills..

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Yes I sort of thought you meant mutuality, and community, that kind of thing, rather than rootin tootin 'I'm a self made maverick, and I got me a gun to prove it' kind of attitude.

And for sure to the second..

The struggle is real, and ongoing.

Apathy kills..
Yes, yet I've known a few mavericks, some vilified by more apathetic liberals for their independence. There must be mavericks or we will sink into a pit of a conformist hegemony. I have no essential problem with going to live in the woods with a hunting weapon if that floats your boat, as long as you behave with respect to nature and the community when you meet it. Patriotism has to be debunked though.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Yes, yet I've known a few mavericks, some vilified by more apathetic liberals for their independence. There must be mavericks or we will sink into a pit of a conformist hegemony. I have no essential problem with going to live in the woods with a hunting weapon if that floats your boat, as long as you behave with respect to nature and the community when you meet it. Patriotism has to be debunked though.

Complicated isn't it .

Im probs viewed as an independently minded maverick by some, liberal or otherwise ..

Don't quite live in the woods .
But pretty much will do, once all these trees have grown up

But at the same time I'm fully aware that I wouldn't be here at all, if it wasn't for some degree of mutually beneficial community effort, in both the past , and in the now.

As you say, it's how you behave in and with the wider world, that makes the difference.

Agree patriotism "My country / tribe / grouping right or wrong " is to be avoided..

Top Bottom