The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
It seems an odd law. I presume simply hating women won't be a crime, but crimes motivated by misogyny will be ... well .. crimes. My gut reaction is to agree with the Law Commision:

"In December, the Law Commission, an independent body that recommends legal changes for England and Wales, decided to reject a proposal to make misogyny a hate crime after it concluded that the move would not solve the “real problem” of hostility or prejudice directed against women because of their sex or gender.

Instead, it recommended that the government consider introducing a specific offence to tackle public sexual harassment, which it claimed would be more effective."

[ Perhaps I should protest noisily about this, while I'm still allowed! :P ]

theclaud

Reading around the chip
It seems an odd law. I presume simply hating women won't be a crime, but crimes motivated by misogyny will be ... well .. crimes. My gut reaction is to agree with the Law Commision:

"In December, the Law Commission, an independent body that recommends legal changes for England and Wales, decided to reject a proposal to make misogyny a hate crime after it concluded that the move would not solve the “real problem” of hostility or prejudice directed against women because of their sex or gender.

Instead, it recommended that the government consider introducing a specific offence to tackle public sexual harassment, which it claimed would be more effective."

I'm reluctantly inclined to agree. It's tempting to say that excluding hatred of women from hate crime legislation makes a nonsense of the whole notion, but then hate crime legislation is arguably a shambles anyway.

I think I've posted this before but this is a good overview of the problems with it: https://debuk.wordpress.com/2021/03/29/whats-in-a-frame-misogyny-hate/

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

Well I was mainly referring to the voting down of amendments on protest

Trying to sort of harassment of women, and the motivators for that is going to take more than the odd bill.

Still they're trying with racially motivated crime, so maybe there's some hope.

Randomnerd

Good news:
I have joined to have a look round, having missed some of your voices Over There.

Even better news:
I‘m more than likely just going to lurk, and keep my trap shut. Recently revisited Voltaire, and thought I would get busy tending my own garden, rather than worrying too much about things I feel I cannot control.

This could have been a new thread I guess, but I couldn’t see where it would fit, and saw only deep irony asking for opinions on not having opinions.

Hope everyone is well, anyhow. It it’s still very dull Over There. They seem to be talking about big cars a lot, and expensive watches. Oh, and slippers. That’s right.

:hello:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Good news:
I have joined to have a look round, having missed some of your voices Over There.

Even better news:
I‘m more than likely just going to lurk, and keep my trap shut. Recently revisited Voltaire, and thought I would get busy tending my own garden, rather than worrying too much about things I feel I cannot control.

This could have been a new thread I guess, but I couldn’t see where it would fit, and saw only deep irony asking for opinions on not having opinions.

Hope everyone is well, anyhow. It it’s still very dull Over There. They seem to be talking about big cars a lot, and expensive watches. Oh, and slippers. That’s right.

Nice to see you here.
Of course it's good news!!

Tbh I've got a sh*t load of landwork to get on with here, and a tractor to fix, and paperwork, and, and ... ..

Could do with a CC sabbatical ..
So if you wouldn't mind taking over as 'radical rural correspondent' for a week or seven that would be great 👍🏼👍🏼

Randomnerd

Could do with a CC sabbatical ..
So if you wouldn't mind taking over as 'radical rural correspondent' for a week or seven that would be great

Thanks. Sadly, you do such a fine job, I would fall way short of the standard. You’ll just have to keep popping your head round the door.

I haven’t had a proper look round yet. Is the task onerous?

And anyhow - and is this why in part few hear how it is out there in the wild - this is my first daylight working day off since mid August. The long hours outdoors, catching as much daylight as one can in which to do the job, alongside tending these few acres, and earning enough crusts to keep the landlord’s wolves fed and quiet, leave little time to march, wave banners, or protest.

Oops, good news, right? Ah, well - how marvellous to have honest work to do and have the limbs to do it with!

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Thanks. Sadly, you do such a fine job, I would fall way short of the standard. You’ll just have to keep popping your head round the door.

I haven’t had a proper look round yet. Is the task onerous?

And anyhow - and is this why in part few hear how it is out there in the wild - this is my first daylight working day off since mid August. The long hours outdoors, catching as much daylight as one can in which to do the job, alongside tending these few acres, and earning enough crusts to keep the landlord’s wolves fed and quiet, leave little time to march, wave banners, or protest.

Oops, good news, right? Ah, well - how marvellous to have honest work to do and have the limbs to do it with!

Indeed I know how it is..

However many working limbs we still have the 'luck' to possess..

I only find time for the activism / banner waving / campaigning now, after years of hard slog to make it workable.

And having had the luck to buy land just before the prices went absurdly silly.

So no one gets to hike my rent..

That's part of what I'm about , making the whole system more equitable, and accessible, less ridiculously hard to get into, and for us to get a proper wage / make a living from what we do.

Whilst not to have to buy into the 24/7 work culture that has been a supposed badge of 'honour' but which in truth has just led to burn out, overwork, and multiple injuries to physical and mental health..

Meanwhile the 'middlemen' extract all the goodness, and make the returns .

Anyhoo up.
You know all this - you'll be fine 👍🏼

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Still waiting for you to start being radical :whistle:

Too much for some..

Too little for others .

Well isn't that always going to be the charge .??:rolleyes:

Good news:

Even better news:

Welcome!

The Lords come-in for regular shagging on here, and whilst far from perfect they seems to get the big stuff right more often than not....

Top Bottom