The Flag Wavers And Anthem Singers Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I might just go out and buy some flags.

We go live to Shep's garden...

D

Deleted member 28

An actual government minister, who coincidentally happens to be my MP, has said that the BBC should be compelled to play the national anthem every day. How does that equate to letting others do what they want?

Or this?

Or even this?
Why do you care?
Have YOU been told to play the national anthem or wave a flag?
I'm not TELLING you what to do I'm suggesting an approach that would avoid a situation where you may be accused of 'not caring about your community ' as you put it.

I've never flown a flag myself by the way and couldn't give a toss if someone else wants to.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Lived in Sweden and the joke was that every Swedish house had a flag and a boat. Work in Norway and Denmark often. Your observation surprises me, they have flags everywhere, not quite USA, but not far behind. Finland I can't recall.
Lots of Germans have holiday homes in Denmark, and iirc they are strictly speaking now allowed to put up German flags over them. I suspect this is to prevent them getting any wrong ideas reminiscing about the past!

As for flags in Scandinavia, these are indeed common until you get to the Swedish border, and that is where they Finnish.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
Why do you care?
I started the thread as a lighthearted opportunity for people to post examples of particularly egregious competitive patriotism displays. Sturgeon and Starmer are fair game too, not just the obvious targets.

I do care about compulsion. At the moment it is more implied than actual in the private sphere, but look at the annual attempts at poppy shaming to see the direction of travel.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/union-flag-to-be-flown-on-uk-government-buildings-every-day

Why do they care?

Lots of Germans have holiday homes in Denmark, and iirc they are strictly speaking now allowed to put up German flags over them. I suspect this is to prevent them getting any wrong ideas reminiscing about the past!

As for flags in Scandinavia, these are indeed common until you get to the Swedish border, and that is where they Finnish.
Anyone seen my yellow card?

Julia9054

Regular
Whilst traveling when younger I used to notice a lot of Canadians with their flag on their backpacks etc...
Went out with a Canadian girl who I asked about this and she said it's to distinguish us from fecking Yanks !
That was me told 😁
Reminds me of two women I met whilst travelling. Wearing matching t shirts with the slogan “I’m Austrian. We have no kangaroos”

D

Deleted member 49

Reminds me of two women I met whilst travelling. Wearing matching t shirts with the slogan “I’m Austrian. We have no kangaroos”
Easy mistake ! Like the time I called a Kiwi girl a Aussie....end of romance !

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Norwegians, Swedes and Danes are big on flags. Many many houses will have a flagpole.
There are different ways of using the flag though. A Danish friend told me that when she was at school in Denmark, they had a day when the kids went out and planted little Danish flags on dog turds in the street. Using the flag like this worked like a kind of ''Is this what you want Denmark to look like?'' kind of shaming. Fewer pooey pavements was the result.

Of course, in the UK, it's the dog turds who stick the flags up.

Top Bottom