The Flag Wavers And Anthem Singers Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would agree, wrt to the Government, but, wrt the population at large, I cannot say I have noticed that. IMHO the only flag fetishists in the UK (in my lifetime), have been the Scots, Welsh and Irish, plus (outside of UK) Eire.

Before retirement I worked in several countries, the only two in which I noticed, what I considered, “excessive” flag usage were USA and Mexico.
Norwegians, Swedes and Danes are big on flags. Many many houses will have a flagpole.

D

Deleted member 49

“excessive” flag usage
Lol

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Norwegians, Swedes and Danes are big on flags. Many many houses will have a flagpole.
Hmm. Worked in one of them, and visited the other two, can’t really say I noticed the flags. Didn’t find the people unduly nationalistic either, perhaps I was just lucky?

D

Deleted member 49

Whilst traveling when younger I used to notice a lot of Canadians with their flag on their backpacks etc...
Went out with a Canadian girl who I asked about this and she said it's to distinguish us from fecking Yanks !
That was me told 😁

Hmm. Worked in one of them, and visited the other two, can’t really say I noticed the flags. Didn’t find the people unduly nationalistic either, perhaps I was just lucky?
Lived in Sweden and the joke was that every Swedish house had a flag and a boat. Work in Norway and Denmark often. Your observation surprises me, they have flags everywhere, not quite USA, but not far behind. Finland I can't recall.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Lived in Sweden and the joke was that every Swedish house had a flag and a boat. Work in Norway and Denmark often. Your observation surprises me, they have flags everywhere, not quite USA, but not far behind. Finland I can't recall.

Most of my overseas working was outside Northern Europe and/or Scandinavia, just a very short stint in Norway. Often visit Sweden however (Swedish friends there).

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Exactly. Too much is made of this. Politicians the world over love a flag to show their love for their country...especially at election times.
It is clearly just as much of an issue to those who criticise it as those who practice it, but not really important at all.
Policies and actions count, flags are just window dressing.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
It is clearly just as much of an issue to those who criticise it
There are two reasons why it bothers me.

First, as I said upthread, it’s increasingly used as a substitute for reasoned policy debate.

Second, what comes next, children having to salute and pledge allegiance?

And the third of my two reasons, there’s the implicit accusation that unless you engage in competitive and ostentatious flag waving you don’t care about your country/community. That annoys me.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

First, as I said upthread, it’s increasingly used as a substitute for reasoned policy debate.

And the third of my two reasons, there’s the implicit accusation that unless you engage in competitive and ostentatious flag waving you don’t care about your country/community. That annoys me.
My last sentence still stands.

It means no more than those footballers ostentatiously kissing their team badge to show their supporters they care. Flim-flam that is superficial rather than insidious.

As long as there are flags there will be flag wavers.

D

Deleted member 28

How about do what you want, wave a flag, wear a poppy or neither of the above.

Just stop f00king whining!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 28

I might just go out and buy some flags just to piss you lot off, do you realise how ridiculous you look getting 'annoyed ' at people you don't know waving a piece of cloth around!

LWW.

D

Deleted member 28

And the third of my two reasons, there’s the implicit accusation that unless you engage in competitive and ostentatious flag waving you don’t care about your country/community. That annoys meme.
Does it? who would give a toss whether you or anyone else appeared 'patriotic ' or not unless you stressed the point that you aren't?

That's how you work isn't it, next door has a flag flying and you get a hard on about it and start whinging, you then get accused of being 'unpatriotic ' and spit your dummy out.

Here's a tip for you, let others do what they want and keep your gob shut, it's unimportant, everyone is happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom