The Flag Wavers And Anthem Singers Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you spotted examples of flag shagging masquerading as political policy?
This is the thread in which to share them.

Here’s one to start off. My MP, Chris Philip.
The BBC should play God Save The Queen much more often, ministers have agreed.

Culture minister Chris Philp told MPs the “more we hear the national anthem sung, frankly, the better”, after a Tory MP called for the corporation to play it at the end of the day’s programming.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/p...ational-anthem-more-proclaims-tory-mp-307314/

The drip, drip of nationalistic poison.

Evan Starmer felt he had to stand in front of not one, but 2 union Jack flags when he made his speech the other day.

D

Deleted member 28

I sense you disaprove of the idea, why as a matter of interest?

D

Deleted member 28

It’s a substitute for critical thinking. It’s designed to encourage feelings that are then too easily exploited by those that don’t have your best interests at heart.
I see,

I often see phrases like flag shaggers or poppy shaggers (saw that in one of the many, many Guardian links posted on here) why are you Lefties so against traditional British symbols?

You often seem to have issues with anything related to the history of our country, Anthems, Monarchy, Statues just to name a few?

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
why are you Lefties so against traditional British symbols?
For me it’s not necessarily the symbols themselves, it’s the uses to which they are put. It’s not just British symbols either; the Americans take their weird flag fetish to even greater extremes and I see politicians here trying to take us further down the same road. I find it both worrying and risible.
You often seem to have issues with anything related to the history of our country, Anthems, Monarchy, Statues just to name a few?
I’m more interested in the history of our people than the symbols used as a tool to keep them compliant. Have you read much war poetry?

Pale Rider

Veteran
Humour me. What is it?

Something and nothing.

They used to play the national anthem after the last house at the Odeon, but no longer.

So what?

Something and nothing.

They used to play the national anthem after the last house at the Odeon, but no longer.

So what?
Used to. So why is the cabinet now discussing bringing back the playing and singing of the national anthem? And when exactly is the "end of programming" when TV stations are on 24hours a day?

This fetishization of the union jack flag and some out of date song that's always sung badly and out of tune will take our country backwards.

Cirrus

It’s a substitute for critical thinking. It’s designed to encourage feelings that are then too easily exploited by those that don’t have your best interests at heart.
The drip, drip of nationalistic poison.

Indeed... bloody flag shagging nationalists, knuckle dragging racists the lot of em.. sunlit uplands and unicorns

1641544437400.png

D

Deleted member 49

Did the flag thing become more of a 'thing' with Brexit do you think ? To be honest I'm not really bothered either way.Draping yourself in the Union Jack or the Euro flag seemed odd !
I'm pretty sure they still play the national anthem at the local conservative club at the end of the evening lol.But I'd have to ask my old man to clarify that ! He'd drink anywhere if it was cheap enough :rolleyes:

Top Bottom