Swearing and/or offensive language

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
When I was about 7(!), my brother gave me Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. Little did I know then of literary puns and double meanings.

I did it for English 'O' level...

In the original Middle English..
That was bawdy fun 😇

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I was thinking about this last night after reading your comment; what is it that makes a word a swear word, how does it come about and who first decides that it is taboo?

So to say that, for example, ‘fück’ has today become normalised is merely acknowledging that it has returned to its original category, before it had been graded as unacceptable.

Most swear/offensive words seem to originate from either sexual terms or sexual parts, or from blasphemous words. 'Bloody' is a contraction of 'By our Lady' (ie Mary), I believe. So I'd say they were always terms of insult (calling someone a sexual part) or blasphemous expletives to show anger or emphasis.

Thing is, once you've normalised the worst of swear words - and we're all happily calling our mums and dads f*ucking c*nts and noone is batting an eyelid - where do you go then? Trainspotting wouldn't be the book it is if everybody talked like that all the time. It's impact comes from the use of language being striking and shocking to the reader. Less is more with swearing.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Most swear/offensive words seem to originate from either sexual terms or sexual parts, or from blasphemous words. 'Bloody' is a contraction of 'By our Lady' (ie Mary), I believe. So I'd say they were always terms of insult (calling someone a sexual part) or blasphemous expletives to show anger or emphasis.

Thing is, once you've normalised the worst of swear words - and we're all happily calling our mums and dads f*ucking c*nts and noone is batting an eyelid - where do you go then? Trainspotting wouldn't be the book it is if everybody talked like that all the time. It's impact comes from the use of language being striking and shocking to the reader. Less is more with swearing.

100%

Ian H

Guru

'By Our Lady' is one of those evidence-free etymologies.
F*ck is an interesting word. 'F*cker' is an epithet of either anger or admiration. F*cked on the other hand, means beyond repair or exhausted. 'F*cking' is a mere intensifier. 'F*ck' can mean mess (don't mess about, don't mess it up) or its original meaning of swive. According to his first wife, Sir John Mortimer's initial chat-up line to her was 'Fancy a f*ck?' (Reader, she married him).

mudsticks

Squire
Nope it's a whole bunch of gibbering Scots hogwash . 😇

Thing is, it seems to be a human need to have some taboo words that have power in extremis

If we get rid of the current crop, well just have to invent new ones.

I'd personally prefer if marginalised groups, and those with less power didn't get abuse by proxy..

Eg in the case of c*nt.

I do understand that it has other meanings elsewhere

Can women do women for a TMN on here ??:laugh:

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
'By Our Lady' is one of those evidence-free etymologies.

The other derivation of 'bloody' I'm aware of is a reference to menstruation - using that nasty, repellent & unsavoury thing wimmin get up to in order to place it firmly in the category of female-denigrating expletives. Think I prefer the religious take.

Another probably apocryphal origin I've heard is 'bugger' - apparently a corruption of 'Bulgar', from a sect of heretic Bulgarian monks who practiced carnal activities which would have been frowned upon (or get you stoned to death) at the time.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Happy to be corrected on my etymology. The original of words is certainly very interesting, and phrases too like 'Pig in a poke, cat out of the bag etc.' Language is how we communicate, it's how we understand the world, and I still think there are words that come with too much baggage to be used 'every verse end' as they used to say.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

I think your faith, in this instance, is probably misplaced!

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=bloody

What is interesting is how it has changed from respectable to the opposite, and more recently the shock value has gone down again, and you wonder just how this happens.

I'm interested in your take on swearing @Unkraut as a religious person.

Long ago in my youth the common shocking words in my area were, from memory, largely blasphemous. These seem to have been replaced with words with a sexual origin.

I've often thought that change reflects a social change from a time when church-going was common to a time when sexual relations are much more openly discussed and church going is less common.

I assume you dislike or disapprove of blasphemous swearing becoming normalised?

Top Bottom