Swearing and/or offensive language

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I'm interested in your take on swearing @Unkraut as a religious person.

Long ago in my youth the common shocking words in my area were, from memory, largely blasphemous. These seem to have been replaced with words with a sexual origin.

I've often thought that change reflects a social change from a time when church-going was common to a time when sexual relations are much more openly discussed and church going is less common.

I assume you dislike or disapprove of blasphemous swearing becoming normalised?

A very interesting question. You are right that most swearing is either sexual (F~) or religious (God!, what the hell). Christianity has been in slow decline in Britain since about 1870, more so since the 60's, but I'm not sure more blasphemous swearing had declined with it - possibly the opposite. Why does nobody ever say Oh Buddha!?

There is an awful lot of culture in this, and the Victorians clearly were very prudish, unlike previous generations. Were Chaucer and Shakespeare really bawdy and (c)rude or was the use of literally more Anglo-Saxon words simply accepted as normal? Did the Victorians take offence at what was actually just plain speaking?

The bible doesn't contain a list of words you ought not to use, the nearest I think would be Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting/crude jokes —all of which are out of place—but rather thanksgiving. Sometimes it is obvious when vulger and crude speech have crossed a boundary, other times less so. What is the intention of the speaker, and are the listeners being over-sensitive.

I don't like people's sincerely held and reasonable beliefs being ridiculed, if only out of respect for the people, nor do I like expressions that are demeaning about a person's sex. This can end up being verbal abuse.

Since I don't believe in a right not to be offended, I have tried to develop a fairly thick hide on the language some people use.

Swear words are called expletives because they don't add anything to the meaning of the sentence, and there is no real need ever to use them. I remember seeing the film Phone Booth in English, and the f word seemed to be in every other sentence. It wasn't true to life, wasn't necessary, and became boring and tedious.

There’s no such thing as blasphemy in the civilised world.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Are we going too fast?
Let's back up.
Assuming I've never tasted one, how would you convey to me, using language, the flavour of, for example, a pear?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Are we going too fast?
Let's back up.
Assuming I've never tasted one, how would you convey to me, using language, the flavour of, for example, a pear?
Mere words can never explain adequately.

Ripe or unripe? They are only edible for a five minute period..before that they are too hard and after that they are a mush.

William, Commice, Bartlett ?

I thought Bollux was a nice simple counterpoint to your post.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Are we going too fast?
Let's back up.

Well, not sure swearing would help?

Other than stuffing a pear in someone’s mouth , what method is there to convey the flavour of a pear, other than language?

mudsticks

Squire
Language is (also) how we dessicate and eviscerate the world, how we trade our birthright for a bowl full of nouns, how we delude ourselves, and the means of forgetting "there lives the dearest freshness deep down things."
You should have this as a succinct tagline - would that it fitted in the space allowed :whistle:

Are we going too fast?
Let's back up.

'pon being presented with a nice crispy sample - fresh from the tree.

My poor (then) innocent boy enthused - "Oooh goody, i like a nice firm pear"

One of the many joys of parenthood is being able, regularly, to remind ones offspring of such delicious moments ..

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Mere words can never explain adequately.

Well quite; a simple, immediate sensory experience, a commonplace qualia, is already beyond the range of mighty language to communicate, unless/until we've had the experience and language can point us back in time to re-member or re-cognise it.
Language is the dusty catacomb where experience goes to die.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Well quite; a simple, immediate sensory experience, a commonplace qualia, is already beyond the range of mighty language to communicate, unless/until we've had the experience and language can point us back in time to re-member or re-cognise it.

Copycat :rolleyes:

Ian H

Guru

'Grunt... fart... Oo-er!"

Top Bottom