Sooner or later, and, now it has happened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well the Home Secretary is planning to change the law so that asylum seekers will be prosecuted for 'arrival' instead of 'entry'. Given that the only way to be considered for asylum in the UK is to apply while physically within its confines, this means they will make it illegal for people to seek asylum here at all.

That is plainly unjust and should be resisted.
Quite. Though I think International law may have something to say about that.....

This needs to be writ large:

“As the law presently stands, an asylum seeker who merely attempts to arrive at the frontiers of the United Kingdom in order to make a claim is not entering or attempting to enter the country unlawfully,” the judgment added.

“Even though an asylum seeker has no valid passport or identity document, or prior permission to enter the United Kingdom, this does not make his arrival at the port a breach of an immigration law.”

Cirrus

Quite. Though I think International law may have something to say about that.....

This needs to be writ large:

“As the law presently stands, an asylum seeker who merely attempts to arrive at the frontiers of the United Kingdom in order to make a claim is not entering or attempting to enter the country unlawfully,” the judgment added.

“Even though an asylum seeker has no valid passport or identity document, or prior permission to enter the United Kingdom, this does not make his arrival at the port a breach of an immigration law.”
I'm not really up to speed with all the legal bits n bobs, but what would happen if an asylum seeker were to wander up to immigration control at Gibraltar?

I'm not really up to speed with all the legal bits n bobs, but what would happen if an asylum seeker were to wander up to immigration control at Gibraltar?
Me neither - but I'd assume the same was true as it's UK territory. Interesting point though, no mention of asylum seekers crossing the Straights of Gib to claim asylum that I can recall...so maybe the rools are different. Off to Google....

Cirrus

Me neither - but I'd assume the same was true as it's UK territory. Interesting point though, no mention of asylum seekers crossing the Straights of Gib to claim asylum that I can recall...so maybe the rools are different. Off to Google....
I was thinking more along lines of wandering across from mainland Spain

Edited to add - As I know the Spanish were having issues with their enclaves in N Africa

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

They'd be processed under Gibraltar immigration laws, not UK laws so would not be entitled to seek UK asylum.

Top Bottom