Sooner or later, and, now it has happened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

The Tories said they would be setting up safe routes for asylum seekers.

Can you believe it, they've only gone and reneged on their promise :eek:
Never, did Labour not fancy doing it the last time they were in?

What is a 'safe route ' by the way?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I didn't say we shouldn't take them but what's the answer, we live on an island?

I've asked a number of times for people's suggestions, lay a weekly ferry on, a flight, eurostar?

What would you do then?
Allow them to get here, using legal/ authorised means of travel, like just about every other country in Europe does, then process their claims as quickly, thoroughly and fairly as possible, and once that process has been carried out either return them to their country of origin or the country they arrived here from (would have been easier before Brexit). WpAs a wealthy country we should put more resources into the processes and accept it as a fact of modern life with the problems in many parts of the world that in many cases we have helped bring about, and luckily we have none of.

The fact we are an island(s) is no more relevant than it is with countries with land borders. We will not sink.

Surprisingly enough it will not mean that every, or even the majority, of asylum seekers will travel here.

D

Deleted member 28

An action replay of our "finest hour", Dunkirk spirit and all that.... they could probably even make a film for Netflix. They would have to be careful who they gave distribution rights too, couldn't have that Bezos making even more money.
Probably get here and sue somebody for suffering 'stress' during the crossing.

D

Deleted member 28

Allow them to get here, using legal/ authorised means of travel, like just about every other country in Europe does, then process their claims as quickly, thoroughly and fairly as possible, and once that process has been carried out either return them to their country of origin or the country they arrived here from (would have been easier before Brexit). WpAs a wealthy country we should put more resources into the processes and accept it as a fact of modern life with the problems in many parts of the world that in many cases we have helped bring about, and luckily we have none of.

The fact we are an island(s) is no more relevant than it is with countries with land borders. We will not sink.

Surprisingly enough it will not mean that every, or even the majority, of asylum seekers will travel here.
Why can't they get legal/authorised travel now?

I assume it's a bit easier getting into a country with no physical borders isn't it?

D

Deleted member 28

The fact we are an island(s) is no more relevant than it is with countries with land borders.
I think all those who drown trying to get here would disagree!

Trying to be a smartar$e backfires on occasion.

mudsticks

Squire
Probably get here and sue somebody for suffering 'stress' during the crossing.

Which happened when exactly ever before..??

It never did, did it??

That sounds like some kind of nonsense you've picked up from one of those supposed 'news'papers.

Or the sort of gammony rubbish that some bloke down the pub would spout..

Not the kind of thing you'd come out with though, surely ??

People don't become refugees by choice.

Imagine what kind of tear, and awful conditions, it would take to flee your own home and country.??

Even though you apparently think where you live is a sh*t hole.

You'd rather stay there right??

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Good luck there then, which party will be doing all that?

If you mean the Tories then I wouldn’t be too smug.

They’ve already screwed up the program (known as the Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy) for relocating Afghanis who assisted the British Forces there, with over 300 being left behind to an unknown fate. This is despite having 20 months to prepare for it.

These are people who risked their lives to help the British forces over the past 20 years but are now in hiding with their families, hoping not to be found and murdered by the Taliban. One such man, who worked with British special forces, was murdered by the Taliban two weeks after he was denied access to an evacuation flight.

If this is how the Tories treat people who made huge sacrifices for this country, god help complete strangers.

D

Deleted member 28

Which happened when exactly ever before..??

It never did, did it??

That sounds like some kind of nonsense you've picked up from one of those supposed 'news'papers.

Or the sort of gammony rubbish that some bloke down the pub would spout..

Not the kind of thing you'd come out with though, surely ??

People don't become refugees by choice.

Imagine what kind of tear, and awful conditions, it would take to flee your own home and country.??

Even though you apparently think where you live is a sh*t hole.

You'd rather stay there right??
I'm taking the pi$$ ffs!
And you wonder why I think you're all humourless tree huggers.
Wolverhampton on the whole is a dump but not the bit I live in because it's the only Tory part.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Why can't they get legal/authorised travel now?

I assume it's a bit easier getting into a country with no physical borders isn't it?
Difficult if they don't have papers, passports etc and they believe they will be stopped from getting on a plane or boat to the UK. Sadly they feel they have to risk their lives trying to get here using dangerous, "illegal" methods.

Not really harder to get into an island than a land-locked country using authorised routes, just different modes of transport. Except for crossing the Channel in a dinghy which is hard. They have already struggled to get from their countries through Europe so are used to having it hard.

D

Deleted member 28

Difficult if they don't have papers, passports etc and they believe they will be stopped from getting on a plane or boat to the UK. Sadly they feel they have to risk their lives trying to get here using dangerous, "illegal" methods.

Not really harder to get into an island than a land-locked country using authorised routes, just different modes of transport. Except for crossing the Channel in a dinghy which is hard. They have already struggled to get from their countries through Europe so are used to having it hard.
How do they get so far through all these other countries with no paper's then, you said they could do it legally?

mudsticks

Squire
I'm taking the pi$$ ffs!
And you wonder why I think you're all humourless tree huggers.
Wolverhampton on the whole is a dump but not the bit I live in because it's the only Tory part.

Who is this 'you all' of which you speak??

I've never met anyone on here.

(Well not as far as I know)

What is this thing about lumping everyone together.as one amorphous mass in your head??

Is the bit you're in ok because it's Tory,
or Tory because people there are doing ok??

Top Bottom