Should MPs be allowed to have a ‘side hustle’?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
The excuse often given over second jobs is that it enables MPs to be "more rounded" in their understanding of current issues rather than just stuck in the Westminster bubble. Therefore able to represent their constituency more effectively.

Strange how this "becoming more rounded" needs to involve jobs, say, paying hundreds of thousands of pounds and based in the BVI, rather than for example working shifts as a binman or Deliveroo driver.

Not to mention those Tories with second jobs telling Marcus Rashford to "stick to the day job".

matticus

Guru
"Tories should wear sponsor shirts like footballers so we know who owns them.
#bbcqt"
Nicked off Twitter.

stowie

The second job thing isn't completely simple to resolve.

Owen Paterson is at one end of the spectrum. He took work from two companies unrelated to either any expertise / professional qualification he possess and it would seem obvious to anyone with half a brain that the reason he was being paid was for his influence and contacts afforded by his role as MP and previously secretary of state. On the other end of the spectrum with have MPs who are continuing practicing as a GP. We have others who are working part time in areas where they have professional expertise. In between I suspect there is a rather large grey area.

Short of banning all second jobs (which may not entirely without downsides), a line in the sand is difficult. But MPs getting "consultancy" work for industry areas where they have no previous experience smells very whiffy indeed.

Salty seadog

The second job thing isn't completely simple to resolve.

Owen Paterson is at one end of the spectrum. He took work from two companies unrelated to either any expertise / professional qualification he possess and it would seem obvious to anyone with half a brain that the reason he was being paid was for his influence and contacts afforded by his role as MP and previously secretary of state. On the other end of the spectrum with have MPs who are continuing practicing as a GP. We have others who are working part time in areas where they have professional expertise. In between I suspect there is a rather large grey area.

Short of banning all second jobs (which may not entirely without downsides), a line in the sand is difficult. But MPs getting "consultancy" work for industry areas where they have no previous experience smells very whiffy indeed.

Amen

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Worth a watch. Chris Bryant speech on the Patterson case. I believe it's called 'having your ass gently served to you on a plate.'

The silence in the chamber is deafening.

https://metro.co.uk/video/chris-bryant-gave-impassioned-speech-watchdog-vote-2539125/
This interview given to Guardian journalist Heather Stewart adds a little background to his speech in the commons - https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-ill-report-the-next-mp-who-tries-to-lobby-me

Top Bottom