Should bull-running be banned?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banderill

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59103659

A 55-year-old man has died after being gored at a bull-running event in the eastern Spanish town of Onda.

The man was repeatedly attacked by the bull at the Fira de Onda festival, suffering a head wound and having an artery punctured in his left thigh.

He died at a hospital in the nearby town of Villareal.

It seems crazy to me that this is still happening. I thought they’d stopped it years ago.

Should it be banned or is it one of those historical events that should be allowed to continue as a tradition?

Presumably everyone taking part knows the risks, but still …

How many places does it happen? How many times a year?

Probably best that it's allowed to remain with appropriate controls than risk it going off into the countryside.

As you say then, assuming it's properly isolated against the unaware (another reason to keep it legal), everybody knows the risks.

I'd regard it as a young men's thing though; only for those with bigger balls than the bulls.

I'm over 60 now but the thought of doing it 5 years ago wouldn't have appealed one bit.

spen666

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59103659

It seems crazy to me that this is still happening. I thought they’d stopped it years ago.

Should it be banned or is it one of those historical events that should be allowed to continue as a tradition?

Presumably everyone taking part knows the risks, but still …

probably best to raise this on the Spanish version of cyclechat as its wholly irrelevant what we think here as its not something allowed here.

Its one for the Spanish

Archie_tect

Unless they are 'chastised' to make them run, in the same way that herds stampede when scared by something.

Beebo

Veteran
The bull running is the least controversial bit.
The bull fighting afterwards is the extremely concerning aspect. The bulls are running to their deaths.
Most countries have some sort of culturally questionable animal entertainment but how Spain can justify bullfighting is beyond me.

This leads us to the bigger question of whether we should have any animal based entertainment from grouse shooting, rodeo, horse racing, fishing, dog shows, where do you stop?

swansonj

Regular
probably best to raise this on the Spanish version of cyclechat as its wholly irrelevant what we think here as its not something allowed here.

Its one for the Spanish
It always puzzles me when people sally forth into an arena built on discussing issues to say that there's no point in discussing a particular issue.

If we were to have a discussion about the American use of capital punishment, would you likewise be saying we should leave it to American cycle forums to discuss because we don't have capital punishment here?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Easy to forget that most countries simply aren't as interested in animal welfare as the British are. I'm not sure it's that long ago that Spainish villages were still throwing donkeys off churches. You think of Japan as a modern country but they had those bear zoos where they were kept in small concrete enclosures with no stimuli until fairly recently.

Last year there was an article, in the Guardian I think, about the French abandoning pets. Apparently they will routinely get a family puppy or kitten but if they move house or get bored of it they simply dump them on charities to rehome and get a new pet later. None of that 'A dog is for life' stuff.

It is time the whole bull-fighting thing went but it's engrained in Spanish culture, perhaps more so than fox hunting was in ours, so I can't see it happening anytime soon.

spen666

It always puzzles me when people sally forth into an arena built on discussing issues to say that there's no point in discussing a particular issue.

If we were to have a discussion about the American use of capital punishment, would you likewise be saying we should leave it to American cycle forums to discuss because we don't have capital punishment here?
Good luck in a debate on here changing domestic law in Spain

I'm not sure Spanish authorities read this section

PS I have not said it shouldn't be debated just its better debated elsewhere

Last edited:
Good luck in a debate on here changing domestic law in Spain

I'm not sure Spanish authorities read this section

PS I have not said it shouldn't be debated just its better debated elsewhere

I just don't get that rationale.

It's pretty unlikely that the UK government is rushing to change laws following chit chat on an offshoot of a cycling forum but that doesn't mean we shouldn't debate it.

Top Bottom