Racist cricketers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
As already pointed out negro as used there is the Spanish word for black. It's exactly the same spelling in, for example, Freixenet Cordon Negro Spanish Cava.

If the object was female the word would be negra.

The item is supplied from Spain so it's unsurprising that the Spanish language is used.

It's not got the slightest relevance to how a black person is referred to in the English language.

Yebbut that's context Brommers.

Ain't nobody got time for that..:rolleyes:

The good news however, is it that all this goofing about, is that I've had a little word with myself over neglecting my Spanish studies..

Not only for better holiday comms, but earlier this month I realised how very useful it would be in International Union work.

- assuming we're ever allowed to go anywhere ever again.:sad:

So more time doing that from now on I think, a bit less time annoying random cyclists online..

:okay:

View: https://youtu.be/epOtBesq18s

D

Deleted member 28

As already pointed out negro as used there is the Spanish word for black. It's exactly the same spelling in, for example, Freixenet Cordon Negro Spanish Cava.

If the object was female the word would be negra.

The item is supplied from Spain so it's unsurprising that the Spanish language is used.

It's not got the slightest relevance to how a black person is referred to in the English language.
You said it was no longer in current usage and it is.

D

Deleted member 28

My post said

Negro on the other hand is a term, albeit anachronistic and no longer in current usage, that describes a dark skinned person probably of African or Caribbean extraction.

Apart from the massive difference of foreign language the wording in your document is not describing a person.
Whatever you say.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
You said it was no longer in current usage and it is.

icowden

Legendary Member
Whatever you say.

It's not whatever he says. @Bromptonaut rightly pointed out that Negro is not a word in common parlance. He was obviously referring to English speaking countries, and particularly the UK. However in Spanish it means black, and in the case of your bar bill is referring (I think) to bottle of wine and not a person. Even in non English speaking countries the word has fallen out of favour because of the association with slavery.

Here's some bedtime reading for you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It's not whatever he says. @Bromptonaut rightly pointed out that Negro is not a word in common parlance. He was obviously referring to English speaking countries, and particularly the UK. However in Spanish it means black, and in the case of your bar bill is referring (I think) to bottle of wine and not a person. Even in non English speaking countries the word has fallen out of favour because of the association with slavery.

Here's some bedtime reading for you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro
I thought it was some cycling stuff he's just bought.
Although my Spanish is limited to Una Cerveca, por favor.

mudsticks

Squire
I thought it was some cycling stuff he's just bought.
Although my Spanish is limited to Una Cerveca, por favor.

The 'Shimano' part is a bit of a giveaway.

Although I guess it could be a Spanish grape variety I've not come across -

Unlikely however..Given my extensive research in that area :whistle:

D

Deleted member 28

The 'Shimano' part is a bit of a giveaway.

Although I guess it could be a Spanish grape variety I've not come across -

Unlikely however..Given my extensive research in that area :whistle:
Pair of Winter boots for what it's worh.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Entire coaching staff among 16 people sacked by Yorkshire.

That's very swift action for a case of cultural racism in an organisation.

For example, were any Met coppers ever sacked over institutional racism, let alone so swiftly?

The coach named by the whistleblower is already wriggling on the hook, saying he intends to take legal action of his dismissal.

It's also quite startling that as many as 16 people are being held responsible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59518669

matticus

Guru
Hearing is off the mark. Vaughan has been in the dock:

"As he has done publicly before, Vaughan emphatically denied ever having said, "There's too many of you lot, we need to have a word about that" to Azeem Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Ajmal Shahzad at a T20 game in June 2009. The ECB's charge stems from Rafiq's recollection of the remark which was, on Thursday, supported by the testimony of Rashid.

<Snip...>The tweets she referenced were from 2010 and 2017. In one he tweeted, "Not many English people live in London…I need to learn a new language". The other was his response to a Piers Morgan tweet calling for Muslims "to expose, name and shame radicalised members of their communities…" , to which Vaughan tweeted: "Totally agree."

Vaughan said the tweets were unacceptable and that he had apologised for them before and would continue to do so. "
[From Cricinfo.com ]
_--------------------

The sides have two rest days befor the next innings on Monday...

Beebo

Veteran
This is the most damaging bit for Vaughan.

“Jane Mulcahy KC, the lawyer for the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), which brought the charges against Vaughan, suggested the "tweets are remarkably similar in tone to the allegation" - which Vaughan denied.”

It’s quite clear to me that he could easily have said the words he is allegedly to have said.
I just think he’s trying to protect his career. I don’t believe him.
Does anyone know what power the committee has?

Top Bottom