Racist cricketers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
I think you need to clarify what you meant in this post:

In much the same way, the N word isn't deemed offensive by the black people of Brazil because the word was never used in a racist context there. It's only offensive in the Anglosphere.

That would be helpful, thanks.

matticus

Guru
Indeed, the N and igga word written by @matticus is largely an Anglosphere term and offensive in the English speaking word. Hence, abbreviation to N.

When I wrote negro (Latin spelling) it was in reference to Brazil where the word does not have a racist undertone.

Of course, the nub is how any word is used.
Which of these two statements do you believe?

Moodyman

You daft racist.

Having met the man in person and spent several hours chatting away, I found nothing to suggest he held racist beliefs.

What I will say, is that he can be as abrasive in real life as he is online. Must be the North East climate - it toughens a man.

Edit: to provide a little context to the second point, he told me something about himself and I mustn't have been paying attention. I asked him the same thing sometime later and he said he told me a couple of miles back. So, it was perhaps my listening skills, but yeah, he told me off.

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
I think any reasonable person can understand what has been written. You appear to be looking for an argument and you ain't getting one.
I'd rather not have an argument! But you seem to have delicately painted my posts as racist - and Ian has labelled them not "legitimate", IIRC - whilst stating that just about every other usage (either on this forum, or in Brazil) is fine due to "context".

For the record, I also am a firm believer in context. (I don't think I was being racist, and often take umbrage when labelled as such).

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I'd rather not have an argument! But you seem to have delicately painted my posts as racist - and Ian has labelled them not "legitimate", IIRC - whilst stating that just about every other usage (either on this forum, or in Brazil) is fine due to "context".

For the record, I also am a firm believer in context. (I don't think I was being racist, and often take umbrage when labelled as such).
As an observer, nowhere in this little bit of discussion has anyone implied, delicately or otherwise, that your posts, or you, are racist.

Comments were about how the use of certain words could be seen as racist in some contexts, but not others.

Last edited:
It seems quite simple to me.

The 'N word' as in Guy Gibson's dog or as used by the character David Anderson in Nevil Shute's book 'In The Wet' is an offensive racial epithet. Even at the time Shute wrote that book, mid fifties, it wasn't normal usage.

Negro on the other hand is a term, albeit anachronistic and no longer in current usage, that describes a dark skinned person probably of African or Caribbean extraction.

matticus

Guru
As an observer, nowhere in this little bit of discussion has anyone implied, delicately or otherwise, that your posts, or you, are racist.

Comments were about how the use of certain words could be seen as racist in some contexts, but not others.
OK, then I should probably let it lie!

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

The 'N word' as in Guy Gibson's dog or as used by the character David Anderson in Nevil Shute's book 'In The Wet' is an offensive racial epithet. Even at the time Shute wrote that book, mid fifties, it wasn't normal usage.

Negro on the other hand is a term, albeit anachronistic and no longer in current usage, that describes a dark skinned person probably of African or Caribbean extraction.

Yes, that is what I understood too

matticus

Guru

I think I would prefer something like potentially offensive. I give you this post to illustrate further:
As @Moodyman said, I think it is about context. It becomes dangerous and pointless when a term or act is deemed "racist" without any context.
A good example of this is Reginald D Hunter's treatment post PFA Awards in 2013. He uses the N word a lot, as a black man from the deep south. Yet he was dragged through the newspapers as having used a "racist" term, the PFA asked for their fee back etc.

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/414...nter-hits-back-at-critics-after-controversial

His response was this
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741830.231809290183653&type=3&l=ec10a4ab5c

Essentially pointing out that *nobody* at the gig had an issue with what he said, or was even vaguely upset.

We do seem to be in an age where even the vaguest items are taken as being racist or cultural appropriation.

Having met the man in person and spent several hours chatting away, I found nothing to suggest he held racist beliefs.

What I will say, is that he can be as abrasive in real life as he is online. Must be the North East climate - it toughens a man.

Edit: to provide a little context to the second point, he told me something about himself and I mustn't have been paying attention. I asked him the same thing sometime later and he said he told me a couple of miles back. So, it was perhaps my listening skills, but yeah, he told me off.
fcc5dbfe69aa5f2c0fc3--alan-partridge-the-day-today.jpg

Top Bottom