Prince Andrew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
It doesn’t matter what titles and honours they take from him, he is still part of the royal family and the stain will still be there. It’s ridiculous for the Queen to say he is facing this lawsuit as a private citizen, he is still a prince (9th in line to the throne).

D

Deleted member 49

It doesn’t matter what titles and honours they take from him, he is still part of the royal family and the stain will still be there. It’s ridiculous for the Queen to say he is facing this lawsuit as a private citizen, he is still a prince (9th in line to the throne).
Will he now be known as the Paedophile formerly known as Prince.:rolleyes:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

My sentiments exactly. Despite the removal (or surrender, depending on your point of view) of HRH Title and Military Titles etc etc, he is still the son of the Queen (and late Duke of Edinbugh), and, thus a member of the Royal Family. So, IMHO, a completely pointless exercise, except it fills ten minutes of BBC News at six, and, gives Witchell an excuse to get excited.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
My sentiments exactly. Despite the removal (or surrender, depending on your point of view) of HRH Title and Military Titles etc etc, he is still the son of the Queen (and late Duke of Edinbugh), and, thus a member of the Royal Family. So, IMHO, a completely pointless exercise, except it fills ten minutes of BBC News at six, and, gives Witchell an excuse to get excited.
I don't think it is pointless as it removes from him the right to act in any public or formal role with the royal family, or his former regimental/ceremonial duties, and probably ensures they will never be returned to him. It saves many organisations of the potential embarrassment of formally having to "sack" him, and it further reduces his earning potential.
It may mean nothing to many ordinary people like us, but to a status conscious, arrogant snob like Airmiles Andy the humility of the loss of status, contacts, wealth, freebies and reputation will hurt him a lot.

BoldonLad

I don't think it is pointless as it removes from him the right to act in any public or formal role with the royal family, or his former regimental/ceremonial duties, and probably ensures they will never be returned to him. It saves many organisations of the potential embarrassment of formally having to "sack" him, and it further reduces his earning potential.
It may mean nothing to many ordinary people like us, but to a status conscious, arrogant snob like Airmiles Andy the humility of the loss of status, contacts, wealth and reputation will hurt him a lot.

I don't doubt that, but, it will not "save" the reputation of the Royal Family (IMHO), since he is, inextricably, part of it (the Royal Family).

To be clear, I am not a Royalist, no problem with the Country becoming a Republic, provided we do not simply replace one set of privileged elite with another set of the same.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I don't doubt that, but, it will not "save" the reputation of the Royal Family (IMHO), since he is, inextricably, part of it (the Royal Family).

To be clear, I am not a Royalist, no problem with the Country becoming a Republic, provided we do not simply replace one set of privileged elite with another set of the same.
The reputation of the Royal Family has been beyond saving for many years, apart probably from the Queen. Below her they have been a dysfunctional family for a long time.

We have had a privileged elite running the country for many years, culminating in the current Tory government and their pals in the press and business.

BoldonLad

The reputation of the Royal Family has been beyond saving for many years, apart probably from the Queen. Below her they have been a dysfunctional family for a long time.

We have had a privileged elite running the country for many years, culminating in the current Tory government and their pals in the press and business.

The Royal Family do not "run the Country", and, have not done so in my life-time. They provide a (to me, none-essential) Ceremonial Role for Tourists and a few indigenous Royalists (of whom, I am not one).

I would agree, "The Family" may be disfunctional, but, that can be said of very many families, so, on the basis of "people in glass houses", not a point I would usually labour.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
The Royal Family do not "run the Country", and, have not done so in my life-time. They provide a (to me, none-essential) Ceremonial Role for Tourists and a few indigenous Royalists (of whom, I am not one).

I would agree, "The Family" may be disfunctional, but, that can be said of very many families, so, on the basis of "people in glass houses", not a point I would usually labour.
I was not talking about the Royal Family running the country. Politicians, especially the current lot are the elite I was talking about.

Salty seadog

I would suggest this is about relieving pressure on the institutions that his honorary titles refer to as a way of shutting down an avenue of bad publicity for the FIRM.

BoldonLad

I would suggest this is about relieving pressure on the institutions that his honorary titles refer to as a way of shutting down an avenue of bad publicity for the FIRM.

I get that, in the case, for example, of his Military Ranks, but, any bad publicity will still be associated with the Royals, in the minds of most people, who (IMHO) do not consider the niceties of HRH etc titles.

No further comment from me, this is all very pointless IMHO.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
The German news earlier bluntly stated that Andrew had had all his titles and privileges removed. No mention of them being transferred as appropriate to the queen. Had to look up the BBC to see that more diplomatic formulation.

There was a picture of him and he looks like a wizened old man. In some ways worse than the tired, worn-out look ex-US presidents for example get. It might well have been this picture:

1642116965460.png

Top Bottom