Poppies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
OK, ok ... I now you're all playing a secret game, seeing who will crack first. DONT MENTION POPPIES.

WELL IVE CRACKED!!! Its Nov 11th, I can't not think about Armistice any longer (for one thing, I've had to plan Sunday morning's ride to a memorial - I can't pretend it isn't happening this year you know).

SO: my opening observation. I'm not seeing any poppies. Or poppy-shaming. Or news stories about enormous displays anywhere. The only person to mention a minute's silence at work was the ex-RAF guy, a proper war-crazed patriot. And he just listened to R4 on his headphones.
Did a quick survey at the site canteen this morning - full of manly men eating huge cooked breakfasts. Plus some staff, and a few suits doing suit things.
I saw two poppies in 20-25 people. Maybe a few were wearing tiny subtle metal brooch things, dunno. I can't recall seeing ANY for sale this week.

What's occurring? Was 2021 peak poppy year?

Cirrus

OK, ok ... I now you're all playing a secret game, seeing who will crack first. DONT MENTION POPPIES.

WELL IVE CRACKED!!! Its Nov 11th, I can't not think about Armistice any longer (for one thing, I've had to plan Sunday morning's ride to a memorial - I can't pretend it isn't happening this year you know).

SO: my opening observation. I'm not seeing any poppies. Or poppy-shaming. Or news stories about enormous displays anywhere. The only person to mention a minute's silence at work was the ex-RAF guy, a proper war-crazed patriot. And he just listened to R4 on his headphones.
Did a quick survey at the site canteen this morning - full of manly men eating huge cooked breakfasts. Plus some staff, and a few suits doing suit things.
I saw two poppies in 20-25 people. Maybe a few were wearing tiny subtle metal brooch things, dunno. I can't recall seeing ANY for sale this week.

Strange, not really thought about it as much this year for some reason, I've not seen many either, though I am still working from home most of the time, food gets delivered, so not surprising really (note to self, get out more)

Barely seen any and it hadn't occurred it was armistice day today.
Been in EUroland all this week, and not really seen many about when I've been home beforehand. Did read an article about white poppies last week though in the graun.
Maybe the times they are a changing....

Ian H

Guru

Eh?

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
There was a bit of a stooshie on social media after the actor Paul Mescal appeared on the Graham Norton Show last week without wearing a poppy. I don’t get why so many people want to impose this on anyone, let alone someone who isn’t British but Irish.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
In the area I live, haven’t seen any sign of poppies for sale. However, the local area FB page recently had a post, asking for volunteers to fix giant poppies to lamp posts etc in the area. They must have got some volunteers, because, the local lamp posts are each sporting a large poppy. No idea who made or paid for the poppies.

A local landmark has been lit up in red tinted light.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 15.18.48.png

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I have seen a few sellers this year but it definitely seems more low key. They were playing We'll Meet Again by Vera Lynn on Asda Radio (yes, that is a thing) at around 11.30 am this morning. I thought that was quite nice.

I hope we're over the poppy bullying thing. Lots of people like me buy them but don't pin them on our coats. It shouldn't be a big deal if you choose not to buy one.

Bazzer

On my commute, one town's main road has oversized poppies fastened to lamp posts. Perhaps part of a parade route?
I haven't seen any in day to day life outside of the TV media.

The British Legion helped my late father-in-law over many years and I always make a donation. Like him, I can’t abide the fetishisation of the poppy, the flag waving, and the attempted shaming of those that choose to be less overt in their remembrance. He was a wise and compassionate man.

Mr Celine

I refuse to buy one until after bonfire night.
By that time they've often disappeared from shop counters. Not this year, there's still plenty around.

Top Bottom