On the subject of words, here's another one to froth over....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Some years ago I went on a long walk in Negro Bill Canyon near Moab. Unsurprisingly it has recently been renamed Flagstaff Canyon.

Ian H

Guru
The Black Boy in Stepney went, spent many evenings as a youngster in there.
I believe That most Blackboy pubs were named for Charles II, so nicknamed by his mother for his swarthy looks. However they have inevitably accumulated further baggage over time (one in Oxford had a statue of a black servant or slave added to its frontage), so it's probably time to review the name.

Beebo

Veteran
I reckon the days are numbered for the Fanny on the Hill in Welling.
Sadly she went a few years ago.
it’s flats now.
but it was a horrible pub.

swansonj

Regular
I'll be nearby over Christmas. My family has known the landlord for quite a while. I'll ask around to see if the name has caused offence locally.
Whilst that would be interesting to know (though hard to find out, I would have thought, given that the set of people who have been caused offence presumably don't overlap much with the set of people who frequent the pub), it - offence - not the most important issue. As has been explained in multiple contexts multiple times, the issue with language is primarily what it reveals about the underlying attitudes and how it sends messages that reinforce attitudes, not whether you can find specific people who say they have been caused offence.

slowmotion

Whilst that would be interesting to know (though hard to find out, I would have thought, given that the set of people who have been caused offence presumably don't overlap much with the set of people who frequent the pub), it - offence - not the most important issue. As has been explained in multiple contexts multiple times, the issue with language is primarily what it reveals about the underlying attitudes and how it sends messages that reinforce attitudes, not whether you can find specific people who say they have been caused offence.
Yes, for all I know the pub is rammed with people sipping mineral water while they study text books from the Department of Semantics.

D

Deleted member 28

The Black Boy in Bridgnorth, Shropshire, still going strong.

Top Bottom