Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A government so clueless and out of touch with reality. Jenrick opens his mouth to let more of his particular brand of stupidity out....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-insists-minister?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Let we explain you cockwomble. Britain lacks its own people with the gumption and education it needs because of government policies on education and apprentiships, the young, poverty, health. The reason so many came from overseas and were successful here was because they had the skills and work ethic the country needed and could not find within it's own population.
That you don't see or understand this shows how out of touch you and your Westminster colleagues are from reality.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
A government so clueless and out of touch with reality. Jenrick opens his mouth to let more of his particular brand of stupidity out....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-insists-minister?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Let we explain you cockwomble. Britain lacks its own people with the gumption and education it needs because of government policies on education and apprentiships, the young, poverty, health. The reason so many came from overseas and were successful here was because they had the skills and work ethic the country needed and could not find within it's own population.
That you don't see or understand this shows how out of touch you and your Westminster colleagues are from reality.

Jenrick: “If I was a business manager, I would be looking to the British workforce in the first instance, seeing how I could get local people into my business, train them up, skill them to do the job.”

It is obvious he is not a business manager. I am sure British managers will be grateful to their grandson for teaching them how to suck eggs.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Jenrick: “If I was a business manager, I would be looking to the British workforce in the first instance, seeing how I could get local people into my business, train them up, skill them to do the job.”

It is obvious he is not a business manager. I am sure British managers will be grateful to their grandson for teaching them how to suck eggs.

And if he'd done his research ( unlikely) he would know that skilled seasonal work, on farm and in product processing, has nearly always been done by itinerant, labour.
Roma people, Irish, and more latterly Eastern Europeans.

Of course we could have a big old conversation about the value that's put (not enough) on this kind of work, and how it has been undervalued for centuries (until it suddenly isn't there) but that's unlikely to be popular with those who see 'cheap' food, and worker exploitation as a necessary part of our modern lives.

If you're going to demonise and or obstruct a travelling population, who are willing and able to do this work, then you can't suddenly start grumbling when they're no longer there.

'Skilling up' the indigenous workforce sounds like a nice idea, but the practicalities of doing that are rather more complex.
And if it was going to be done it should have started years ago.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Shouldn't we (ie Government) have a plan to rectify the bolded bit? We may well, of course, have to "import" labour/skills until we have closed the gap.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
And pay for the hoi poloi to be educated? What are you, some kind of communist?

If that defines being “a communist”, then, perhaps I am, but, I suspect most on here would strongly dispute that 😀

However, although I have no problem with immigrants, I do find it hard to believe that they are all more highly educated than the average Brit. Does Albania have such an excellent education system.

Last edited:

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
1669051411827.png

Maybe this on the side of a big red bus?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
If that defines being “a communist”, then, perhaps I am, but, I suspect most on here would strongly dispute that 😀

However, although I have no problem with immigrants, I do find it hard to believe that they are all more highly educated than the average Brit. Does Albania have such an excellent education system.

They don't all have to be. Just the ones that employers want.

Ian H

Guru
There was a landslip across the railway line, so the last part of our journey home was by taxi. German chef working during the 'off' season. I asked him why on earth he'd come here from Germany. He explained it had been fine before Brexit, but 'you idiots' had tanked the economy, broken the country. The trouble was, he said, that he'd been here so long that he had as much pensions savings here as back home. Lovely chap, we discussed the merits of various local eateries.

icowden

Legendary Member
They don't all have to be. Just the ones that employers want.

Perhaps a better idea would be to try and both encourage Albania to be a better country (they want to join the EU - membership would be massively helpful for them) and to look at *why* Albanian's want to come here.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/many-people-leaving-albania-how-25427960

Why are people fleeing Albania?​

Albania is one of the poorest countries in Europe. From 2010 to 2019, more than 193,000 Albanians applied for asylum in the European Union - of which Albania is not yet a member, though it aspires to become one - and a 2018 Gallup poll found that 60% of the country’s adult population wanted to leave.

So far in 2022, the Home Office says, around 12,000 Albanians have arrived in the UK after crossing the Channel on small boats. This is an increase from 800 in 2021 and only 50 in 2020.

Among the major problems facing Albanians are low wages, poor living standards and corruption. The country also had a youth unemployment rate of 20.7% in the first quarter of this year; however, it is considered a safe country by the UK government.

The BBC has a story about an honest Albanian who was deported. His mistake was not to ask for Asylum but to be honest about why he had paid £3500 to be dangerously trafficked to the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63673925
Contrary to Braverman's view, he just wanted to work because there is no work in Albania.

Top Bottom