Oh my Lords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63851922

An actual policy from Starmer! And it's not like anything the Tories have offered.

I'm all for a smaller reformed and elected second chamber; what about you?

Me too.

As for the rest of it, "Prudent Gordon" does not fill me with optimism, for starters, plus, some of the plans, as they relate to Scotland, do appear to depend on Scotland still being part of UK, whilst it is, at present, who knows?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I quite like the idea of a second chamber comprised of experts who can be called upon to scrutinise legislation relating to their field of expertise. The issue is how to regulate that and put it into practice in a way which enhances rather than restricts our democracy. I'm not necessarily in favour of scrapping it and replacing it with an elected body.

I agree some type of constititional reform is needed but I'm not 100% sure what form I'd like it to take. I want a government decided by proportional representation, preferably with some sort of transferable vote, but I'd also like to retain a locally elected constituency MP, and I want a second chamber not stuffed with cronies, but not really with politicians either.

Does anybody have a workable model which meets those requirements?

spen666

Me too.

As for the rest of it, "Prudent Gordon" does not fill me with optimism, for starters, plus, some of the plans, as they relate to Scotland, do appear to depend on Scotland still being part of UK, whilst it is, at present, who knows?

A Westminster party can only make plans for somewhere if it is part of the UK

Top Bottom