Northern Ireland - forthcoming elections....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is Heaton-Harris about to do a U Turn?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-63425498

His original line was that an election would be called at 00:01 today. Now he'll say more next week.

He's my MP and a pretty useless lummox he is too.

Well he's now achieved something remarkable; Sinn Fein and the DUP on the same page.

Admittedly it's a page where both accuse him of having nothing to say but even so....

D

Deleted member 49

Well he's now achieved something remarkable; Sinn Fein and the DUP on the same page.

Admittedly it's a page where both accuse him of having nothing to say but even so....
Basically he'll call a election when he can find a way for the DUP not to lose

D

Deleted member 49

Surely in the light of the Brexit debacle it is not unreasonable for a considerable majority to be in favour of change if it is constitutionally important? A result of almost 50/50 is not decisive enough.
Unionists only seem to like democracy when the numbers don't suit them.Paisley and co are sh1tting there pants over a reunification vote !
I mean what even is a "super majority" ?

Beebo

Veteran
I’d take them a bit more seriously if they actually sat in their own assembly.

But I do agree that a simple majority is a poor way to change such significant things.

D

Deleted member 49

I’d take them a bit more seriously if they actually sat in their own assembly.

But I do agree that a simple majority is a poor way to change such significant things.
It's against the principles of the Good Friday Agreement....50+1 is a majority ! Feck sake it suited them when it was the Brexit vote.You can't just change the rules to suit.

All uphill

Requiring a super- majority can be very problematic, and is out of step with our fptp voting system.

If, for example, 66% was needed for a major change, and a referendum showed only 60% in favour, a country would be left in a very uncomfortable, unstable and non-democratic position.

Imo it was clearly foreseen that the whole NI political situation following a hard Brexit, would be insoluble. There has to be a border somewhere!

D

Deleted member 49

Imo it was clearly foreseen that the whole NI political situation following a hard Brexit, would be insoluble. There has to be a border somewhere!
It won't happen and they know it,they want a reaction so they can play the victim and blame the nationalists.There can never be a hard land border without a return to violence.The DUP are using this as a threat and the UDA/UVF are using the threat of violence.

Maybe a way forward would be for a simple majority to be used to establish the principle, followed by confirmatory votes on the implementation details.

Top Bottom