Northern Ireland - forthcoming elections....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

That peace and harmony are not likely to be achieved by the oppressed becoming the oppressor. IMHO.
Who's oppressing anyone....it's a democratic vote isn't it ?

D

Deleted member 49

Another significant milestone toward a united Ireland has been passed*....

BBC News - Census 2021: More from Catholic background in NI than Protestant
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62980394

*Yes, I know it's a bit more complicated than that....
Lack of Religion or should I say not using Religion as a identity as in Protestant or Catholic and I'm hesitant to say but Brexit has played a massive part in people's identity.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Lack of Religion or should I say not using Religion as a identity as in Protestant or Catholic and I'm hesitant to say but Brexit has played a massive part in people's identity.

Agree re: Brexit which has notably improved the prosperity of NI.
There will also be many on the Catholic divide (and let's not pretend that this is not a major influencer) also appreciate the benefits such as NHS, taxation etc and the pumping of money into NI by the British government confers. However, the direction of travel is one way and Unionists need to decide whether their best interests are served by doubling-down on King Billy No Surrender, or working in a more consensual way of preserving their identity in a new future. Not taking seats in Stormont shows they have a long way to go on the latter....

The other big change is that at the time of partition, the UK was the dominant economic power on the island, this is no longer the case. The Republic is leaving NI in it's wake in terms of prosperity, investment, education etc.

Coffee needs to be smelled in the Unionist camp....

81GO0o+w0xL._AC_SY679_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

D

Deleted member 49

However, the direction of travel is one way and Unionists need to decide whether their best interests are served by doubling-down on King Billy No Surrender, or working in a more consensual way of preserving their identity in a new future. Not taking seats in Stormont shows they have a long way to go on the latter....
They first they have to accept evolution, it's a big ask....

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Is Northern Ireland of any value to us (UK), ie strategic or financial?

Top Bottom